This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

sola scriptura

sola scriptura

Postby postodave » August 7th, 2006, 11:44 am

This is really picking up on some things from another thread. Rusmeister tells me he was raised a Baptist and is now Orthodox. He rejects the doctrine of sola scrptura. I want to suggest that the doctrine he is rejecting is not the classic reformed doctrine of sola scriptura at all, but the modern evangelical doctrine which sometimes goes by the same name. According to this modern doctine scripture, as interpreted by the individual, is the only authority in matters of faith and doctrine. According to the reformers who originally coined the term sola scriptura, scripture, when interpreted by the Church in the context of the rule of faith, is the final authority in such matters. It's a subtle difference but it means that the reformed doctrine was not in fact out of step with the traditional teaching of the Church both in the East and in the West whereas the modern doctrine, sometimes called solo scriptura is not only out of step with tradition but is incoherent. I think we could have a fruitful discussion about this, since many people of diverse traditions and approaches are represented in these forums.
postodave
Wardrobian

re: sola scriptura

Postby Theo » August 7th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Shouldn't this be in another subforum? "General Christianity", perhaps?
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 7th, 2006, 6:32 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 7th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: sola scriptura

Postby Kolbitar » August 7th, 2006, 9:43 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » August 7th, 2006, 10:18 pm

I don't see how I can get away from the responsibility of private interpretation. I am both private and an interpreter. Having an infallible Church doesn't help. First, I must privately decide if it is infallible (and how can I possibly know that, being fallible myself?), and then I must make sense of what it teaches.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Re: re: sola scriptura

Postby Kolbitar » August 8th, 2006, 2:14 am

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » August 8th, 2006, 3:33 pm

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 8th, 2006, 4:16 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 8th, 2006, 4:20 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 8th, 2006, 5:29 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » August 8th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 9th, 2006, 7:08 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 9th, 2006, 3:01 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 9th, 2006, 3:21 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy