This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

sola scriptura

Re: re: sola scriptura

Postby Josh » September 1st, 2006, 12:58 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

re: sola scriptura

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 2nd, 2006, 1:19 am

Aye, "God creats" - one single presumption. How many assumptions are involved in evolution, the Big Bang, etc.

And, Postodave, if you mean that a lot of things that most Christians consider is supernatural is not supernatural, then, yes, I agree with you. But if you mean that they are normal - no. And if you're going to use Lewis' position, you are going to have to stand against the naturalists.

But since God transcends nature, He is, by definition supernatural, and if He intrudes into nature's affairs, the event is supernatural. Things like raising Lazarus or Jesus from the dead after three days and Elijah calling down (God sending down) fire from heaven, can't be seen as anything but supernatural.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » September 4th, 2006, 12:05 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 4th, 2006, 6:21 pm

No, I actually see your point now. I don't know if I would ever find reason to adopt it but it has value. Most of it is more semantical than not but the idea that The Grand Miracle and creation might be natural is a little too close to approaching the idea that God can't interfere with nature, He can only interact with it. I would not be comfortable with that move, personally. I would also not consider another Christian grossly at fault if they did take the position that God only interacts with nature.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » September 6th, 2006, 12:31 pm

This has never happened to me on these forums before. I think we're agreeing, or agreeing to differ anyway.
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 7th, 2006, 12:24 am

Oh, it's more than that. It's an admission that you might be right and I might be wrong, but I'm not willing to accept your view without significant reason to do so.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 7th, 2006, 4:06 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 7th, 2006, 4:52 am

WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 8th, 2006, 10:55 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby postodave » September 11th, 2006, 11:48 am

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » September 12th, 2006, 12:34 am

Paradigm shift? (Yech)

A fundamentalist accepts scripture and rejects extrascriptural sources as general revelation. Traditionalists accept the writings of folks like Origin and/or Augustine, Aquinas and/or Dionysus as generally relevant to all Christians.

I see too much in the extraBiblical stuff that I have a much too hard time swallowing. Augustine's writings range from exceptionalcommentary on the scripture through the nonBibical to the blatantly antiBiblical.
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » September 13th, 2006, 12:23 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » September 13th, 2006, 12:33 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 13th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 14th, 2006, 2:01 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy