This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christianity and Judaism?

re: Christianity and Judaism?

Postby Caesario » August 10th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Caesario
Wardrobian

Re: re: Christianity and Judaism?

Postby John Anthony » August 11th, 2006, 1:41 am

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 11th, 2006, 2:15 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 11th, 2006, 5:24 am

That article that Caesario linked to is about Hagee's organization. I had actually never heard of him either until very recently, when someone emailed me a similar article - which did not think they were shrugging off questions of Armageddon.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » August 11th, 2006, 8:39 am

Sorry to be so predictable, but regarding the Left Behind books I feel obliged to once more point to the long-running series of essays on them by my favourite Christian blogger:

It's not just about the books - as he goes through the first book, he riffs on all kinds of questions (mostly about Christianity) that come up along the way. In one of the first, he also succinctly describes the series as "evil, anti-Christian crap", an opinion which is argued at length. The essays are also enormously readable, insightful and often quite funny.
Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » August 11th, 2006, 11:37 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Josh » August 11th, 2006, 2:34 pm

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » August 21st, 2006, 9:15 pm

I'm unable at the moment to respond in this thread with the acuracy I would like, so I'll just post a plea and suggestion to my brothers and sisters in Christ who have strong (and negative) oppinions towards dispensational theology (or merely interpretative tool).
Please do not stereotype and do not easily embrace popular charicatures of dispensational teachings and implications.
Dispensationalism has been systemised at the begining of the 19th century far away from any modern political, religious or cultural concernes (and far away from the United States for that matter). The reasons of it's modern relevance is a thing still to concider.
As far as Tim LaHaye and similar writers are concerend, they may be criticised for vulgarising the rich theological concepts but they can not be made reprsentatives or synonims for the dispensationalism. This is the bitter strawman tactics unworthy of many distinguished theologians who had treated dispensationalism in that manner.
For an acurate presentation of dispensationalism authors such as John F.Walvoord, Dwight J. Pentecost, Charles Ryrie, Leon Wood, Lewis Sperry Chafer, Harry A. Ironside should be consulted and not Tim LaHaye or Hal Linsday.
My suggestion to all who woud have a strong opinions on dispensationalism would be, for the sake of intelectual honesty (and perhaps christian charity), to read a book by Charles Ryrie "Dispensationalism".
In it Ryrie apologeticaly exposits exactly what dispensationalism is and what it's not. It is written as a gude and a plea to non-dispensational christians prone to ridicule. If you will have a strong dislike to a particual theological system, at least have it for the right reasons.
Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy