This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Calvinism

Calvinism

Postby Ryan In Process » August 19th, 2006, 12:43 am

Hey everyone,
I am struggling with the view of Calvinism; whether to accept or oppose this system.

I was wondering what some of you might have to say for or against this. And, out of curiosity, does anyone know if Jack spoke of any views about this himself?

Ryan
Ryan In Process
Wardrobian

re: Calvinism

Postby AllanS » August 19th, 2006, 1:09 am

I think it's ugly. Here are some reasons why:

The Calvinist solution to free will is that all are dead in sin, and that it is only the call of God to the elect that regenerates and infallibly draws the soul.

There are very costly downsides that come with this view.

First, it diminishes God. If He can save sinners by regenerating and calling them, why not save all? He simply chooses not to. Therefore, the Calvinist God is not the All Merciful.

Second, it diminishes human dignity. Corpses, spiritual or otherwise, are repugnant and fit only for the graveyard. The Calvinist Man has no intrinsic worth, and is entirely unlovable.

Third, it violates reason by teaching it is possible for God to force someone to loving him freely. The Calvinist God makes no sense, and has no need to. He is therefore both non-rational and capricious.

Fourth, it removes all possibility of existential peace with God. You have no way of knowing you are, in fact, one of the Elect. Perhaps, in your total depravity, you are self-deluded. Indeed, you probably are.

It is no accident that the Puritans smashed their stained-glass windows and stripped their churches bare.

As for Lewis, he said we could not understand destiny and choice until we had outgrown both.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Re: re: Calvinism

Postby Josh » August 19th, 2006, 3:26 am

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » August 19th, 2006, 5:01 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby jo » August 19th, 2006, 10:43 am

Welcome Ryan :) You might regret having asked this before the thread is done ;).

My personal take is that Calvinism is ugly, for many of the reasons that Allan has already used. It's not a subject I know a great deal about though.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Ryan In Process » August 19th, 2006, 10:55 am

Ryan In Process
Wardrobian

Postby jo » August 19th, 2006, 11:04 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Theo » August 19th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Member of the Religious Tolerance Cabal of the Wardrobe

“First they came for Abdul Rahman and I spoke out because I was a Muslim. Then they came for the Palestinians and I raised hell because I was a Jew. Then they came for the Iraqis and I protested because I was an American. Then they came for the Muslims and I spoke out because I was a Christian, Then they came for the poor and I spoke out because I was rich. By the time they came for me, I had all the support a man could ask for.”
Theo
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » August 19th, 2006, 11:27 pm

I wonder how far today's churches 'in the Calvinist tradition' are still Calvinist in current attitudes and practice. There are two local Presbyterian churches that I've visited several times each, and whose websites I've explored. In all I've heard or read about 20 sermons at these churches. Not once in any of them was there mention of Calvin or of the doctrine of predestination. Are today's Presbyterians quietly distancing them from much of their 'tradition'? Has anyone here heard in any church much talk about Calvin and affirmation of the predestination doctrine?
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Ryan In Process » August 20th, 2006, 1:32 am

Ryan In Process
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » August 20th, 2006, 2:22 am

AllanS

Postby Josh » August 21st, 2006, 5:06 pm

Last edited by Josh on August 22nd, 2006, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 21st, 2006, 5:43 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » August 21st, 2006, 5:59 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » August 22nd, 2006, 2:35 am

AllanS

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy