This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

HOw do you view/interact with non believers?

re: HOw do you view/interact with non believers?

Postby jo » August 24th, 2006, 3:31 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » August 24th, 2006, 3:38 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby jo » August 24th, 2006, 3:40 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » August 24th, 2006, 3:43 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby jo » August 24th, 2006, 3:46 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » August 24th, 2006, 3:47 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Re: re: HOw do you view/interact with non believers?

Postby Karen » August 24th, 2006, 3:49 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby crazydaisy » August 24th, 2006, 3:51 pm

"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angles nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38
crazydaisy
Wardrobian

Postby Caesario » August 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Caesario
Wardrobian

Postby Fea_Istra » August 25th, 2006, 12:27 am

hmmm...interesting question.
I have many non Christian friends, and as people they don't bother me. I don't feel like I have to lecture them on Christianity all the time, but it bothers me when sometimes people talk hatefully of the religion but haven't researched it. Then, I try to tell them about the ideas just so they at least can make an informed decision. I try to be a Christian in my actions (doesn't always work, alas) and lead by example; but that still needs work.

I hope this won't be taken as something offensive about non Christians, I just know a few people like that: sometimes it bothers me if people make fun of the faith; because I wish that they saw what I see in it.

I think it's God's job to assign people to heaven and hell, and I believe that not all Christians are guarranteed heaven and not all non Christians are guarranteed hell. Since we know next to nothing about it, it's not our job to judge people like that. So while I don't picture non believers in hell, I discuss religion with many of my friends; and it's an interesting discussion because everyone gets to share their views. They tell me what they believe, and I tell them about Christianity. I used to be an atheist, and I thought that Christianity was really shallow. But when I learned more about it, I really liked it. So maybe some people just don't have the information, and that's when discussions are useful. :tongue:

But it's not like I make friends with non believers just to tell them about my faith :lol: we talk about many things and they also make great friends. I guess I just like discussions :toothy-grin: and I'm always interested in their views also whatever they are.

CS Lewis once said that we all have a responsibility in how we affect other people; because we have a part in them going to heaven or hell. So I guess I good rule is to just treat everyone in the right way, whatever their faith.
Fea_Istra
Wardrobian

Postby jo » August 25th, 2006, 8:02 am

That sounds good, Fea :). As to non Christians making fun of Christians - I know that some do and I wish they didn't. I don't see why it isn't possible to have full and complete friendships with people of differing faiths, providing each party is prepared to treat the other with respect.

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » August 29th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

Postby jo » August 29th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Mary, I think that's a great point about Jesus just saying 'love thy neighbour' and not 'love thy neighbour provided he attends this or this or this church.' And if Jesus could do that, DID do that, then surely everyone should? It's often said that 'Jesus consorted with tax collectors and prostitutes' and if the NT is true then that is true too but I sometimes think that some of the people saying it don't truly 'hear' it. Jesus consorte with tax collectors and prostitutes: the 'lowest of the low' in his day (and to an extent still in this day). If Jesus could do that, it suggests that everyone else should do so too, really.

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Zeuxis » August 31st, 2006, 12:31 am

Zeuxis
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 31st, 2006, 1:07 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy