This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Postby David Jack » September 10th, 2006, 4:43 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

re: Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Postby Pizza Man » September 10th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Re: re: Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Postby David Jack » September 10th, 2006, 6:41 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » September 10th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » September 10th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Well I can see how that would give a kind of symmetry to our worship-having a spiritual Mother as well as a spiritual Father-but isn't it a bit much? I mean I know Catholics don't believe Mary was divine but it does seem quite a direct parallel with the Almighty who after all has Motherly qualities as well as Fatherly.
As for the verse you quote, I had always taken that at face value: Jesus' earthly life was drawing to a close and John would be as a son to Mary in his stead. I understand your interpretation but to me it doesn't seem an obvious one. Does John symbolise the church as a whole elsewhere in scripture (I mean, more than any of the other twelve disciples?)
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 10th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » September 10th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 11th, 2006, 4:22 am

So Mary is our new Mother and Intercessor? A pity that Paul, Apostle to the Gentiles, didn't see fit to mention her even once in his letters! Nor did Peter, James, John, Jude, or the bloke who wrote Hebrews. For someone so central to our salvation, she gets mighty short shrift.

I think it much more likely that Mary morphed into Queen of Heaven to displace Artemis etc. from the minds of the ancients. You don't get rid of thousands of years of goddess worship overnight. Indeed, Paul's insistence on the silence of women in all the churches was probably an attack on those converts who wanted 'Christian' priestesses and a feminised goddess.

On the up side, even if only the dullest Protestant version of things is true, Mary would have been glorified beyond anything we can imagine, indistinguishable (to our eyes) from the Divine itself. I dare say, since she would now be perfect in love, that she's also very interested in the affairs of our small, sad world, and quite willing to lend a hand.

However, the gap between these cool speculations and hard doctrine is a large one, to my mind.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby John Anthony » September 11th, 2006, 3:37 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 11th, 2006, 5:08 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 11th, 2006, 10:09 pm

I'm much taken with the fact that there exist an infinite number of truths which are quite unprovable to a finite mind. The existence of God, the identification of God with YHWH, the incarnation of God, the authority of the Church, the glory of Mary, transubstantiation, the forgiveness of sins, life everlasting beyond death... all these seem to be candidates.

Of course, there also exist an infinite number of falsehoods that cannot be disproved. All the above are candidates for this list also.

How to proceed? It's true that Artemis might be a sort of prefiguring of Mary, a collective longing for our true spiritual mother. It's equally possible that Mary is a distorted memory of the true Goddess Artemis, who patiently waits for us to repent and turn back to her, not wishing that any should perish. Or perhaps, as John pointed out, her real name is Guan Yin.

Faith is a gift. It cannot be arrived at by reason, since the object of faith provides reason's foundation.

The question for me becomes: What faith have I already been given? What things do I believe, really believe, without doubt or question. Things like: "Don't murder babies", and "Blessed are the merciful", and "The truth will set you free". Then I need to identify the group (if there is one) who most consistently embodies, nourishes, affirms and defends these beliefs, and join with them. If they also believe that Mary is Queen of Heaven (something I can neither prove nor disprove), that cannot logically be an issue.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby John Anthony » September 11th, 2006, 11:12 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 12th, 2006, 7:47 am

Hi John,

My thoughts exactly.

Let's create a -10 to +10 scale of disbelief/belief and define the top 100 doctrines. A score of 1000 will mean you absolutely believe everything. A score of -1000 will mean you're either the devil himself, or a televangelist.

What score will be enough to allow you to join a given church? What score is sufficient to save you?

AllanS

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 12th, 2006, 2:51 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » September 12th, 2006, 3:56 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy