This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Theology of the Immaculate conception?

re: Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Postby Sarah N. » September 14th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Re: re: Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Postby David Jack » September 14th, 2006, 10:39 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 15th, 2006, 5:16 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » September 15th, 2006, 8:20 am

Hi Sarah,

If the stuff about Jesus rising and so on is true, it would be almost certain that Mary is also glorified and praying for us.

But we don't know she is. At least, I don't. Nor could Luther have known, whatever he said.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby David Jack » September 15th, 2006, 5:51 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » September 17th, 2006, 12:45 am

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » September 17th, 2006, 2:22 am

David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » September 17th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » September 17th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Re: Theology of the Immaculate conception?

Postby watcher » September 18th, 2006, 8:20 pm

David: you're right. The argument supplied by your friend cannot be one of necessity - at most, there is an argument from fittingness. The doctrine is certainly not "optional" for Catholics, although it's difficult to digest. There isn't really evident and strong support for it in Scripture, and there doesn't appear to be a strong body of historical evidence. Most disturbing is the fact that St. Thomas explicitly argued against the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.

I've attached a link that I think provides a good overview of the issues. I hope you find it helpful. It's important to note that the Church doesn't teach that, in virtue of her Immaculate Conception, Mary did not need the merit of Christ's grace - just that she received it "in anticipation," and thus had that much more reason to hold Christ as her Savior. I think this is the only real point of debate, to be honest - could the grace of Christ's blood be bestowed prior to the shedding of His blood? People will try to turn the argument in a lot of different directions, but this is the main point.

The reason it seems so fitting that Mary was conceived without sin is that Christs inherits her humanity fully, without alteration or intervention to repair or prevent the inherited corruption of Original Sin. In this way, He receives his human nature from His mother in exactly the same fashion that we do. It's the "cleanest" way to do it. Like I said, that's not an argument from necessity - I don't think anyone has ever proved that there would have been anything unreasonable in an act of Divine intervention to prevent the transmission of Original Sin.

Lastly, and I'm not sure how people take miraculous apparitions, Our Lady of Lourdes appeared to Bernadette Soubirous in 1858, and told her "I am the Immaculate Conception," on March 25th of that year. My parents always taught me that a gentleman doesn't contradict a lady.

Cheers.
watcher
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 19th, 2006, 12:41 am

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby watcher » September 19th, 2006, 4:53 am

watcher
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 19th, 2006, 4:55 am

Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » September 23rd, 2006, 6:10 pm

Another point about the Reformation. Some would say that the Church lost it's authority, (whatever that would be) because of the great abuses going on in the Church at that time.(The selling of indulgences and so forth) The Church never officially taught that those things were okay, so there is no problem of contradictory teaching to disprove a claim to infallibility. But what if it got to the point that it was so bad and so widespread that the Church just lost her authority? The question is: what was that point? Where do you draw the line? At what point does the mercy of God end? Jesus always knew that there would be some corruption in His Church(The parable of the Weeds and the Wheat), so you have to ask yourself: Do I claim the authority to determine at what point God refuses to work through a flawed instrument. That is a dangerous question to ask, because you yourself and all humans are flawed instruments. If God got sick of working through and improving the Church (And therefore in a sense, abandoned her, something God would not do), might not He get sick of working through and improving you?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » October 11th, 2006, 8:38 pm

David Jack
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy