This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Fasting

Fasting

Postby Neil K » September 15th, 2006, 1:28 pm

'Between my finger and my thumb / The squat pen rests. / I'll dig with it.' - Seamus Heaney, 'Digging'
Neil K
Wardrobian

re: Fasting

Postby warren_piece » September 15th, 2006, 4:19 pm

warren_piece
Wardrobian

Re: re: Fasting

Postby Karen » September 15th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 15th, 2006, 4:27 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 15th, 2006, 4:56 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby warren_piece » September 15th, 2006, 5:02 pm

warren_piece
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 15th, 2006, 6:54 pm

The main thing to remember with fasting, whether you skip only one meal or whether you fast all day, is that the point of fasting is to bring you closer to God. The time that you would have spent in preparing a meal and eating it ought to spent in prayer and meditation on God's Word.
I would not recommend fasting for more than 24 hours until you've tried shorter periods of time.

The best advice on fasting was given by Jesus Himself in Matthew 6:17-18...
"Moreover when you fast, be not as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face; that you appear not unto men to fast, but to your Father which is in secret: and your Father which seeth in secret, will reward you openly."
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 15th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Some of you haven't eaten in weeks have you? :wink:
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » September 15th, 2006, 7:01 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 15th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 15th, 2006, 7:05 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby wigworld » September 15th, 2006, 7:43 pm

Notice that in Matthew 6:17-18, Jesus says 'Moreover when you fast...', NOT 'Moreover if you fast...'. I guess that means we should all be fasting.
Another verse that springs to mind is Daniel 1:8-14 - it talks about it here: http://www.gotquestions.org/Daniel-fast.html.
wigworld
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 15th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » September 16th, 2006, 7:51 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Inariae » November 5th, 2006, 3:34 am

Media vita in morte sumus.

"Love loves unto purity...it strives for perfection, even that itself may be perfected - not in itself, but in the object...Therefore all that is not beautiful in the beloved, all that comes between and is not of love's kind, must be destroyed. And our God is a consuming fire...that only that which cannot be consumed may stand forth eternal." - George MacDonald
Inariae
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy