This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"Three Stages in the Program of De-Hellenization"

"Three Stages in the Program of De-Hellenization"

Postby sehoy » September 16th, 2006, 1:17 pm

sehoy

re: "Three Stages in the Program of De-Hellenization&qu

Postby Mary » September 16th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

re: "Three Stages in the Program of De-Hellenization&am

Postby sehoy » September 16th, 2006, 3:59 pm

sehoy

Postby Mary » September 16th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Viele Grüße! Haben Sie wirklich alles vertanden? Awesome! Ich habe der Pabst nicht gesehen diese Mal, denn er wahr nicht auf Fernseher. Vielleicht auf Katholisch TV.

Wie schön, daß Sie haben seine Sprache gehören, besonders im München. Aber es it schade, daß alles wir lesen im Blatt ist über Bösen
Muslimen und NY Times. Unglaublich.

Ich werde die ganze Sprache lesen. Haben Sie ihr auch auf Deutsch?

(Und ja......am meistens, Amerikansihe TV ist furchtbar. Aber, wir haben auf Sattelite ein Paar gute Stationnen....ich habe gern BBC America und Biography Channel für Britische Krimi shows!

Tschiao,

Mary
Mary
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 16th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Oh, Mann. Habe ich viele ueber NYT und Muslemischen Ungluck zu reden! Grrrr.....

Here's the link to in German. The speech is not up in German yet. I'm not sure why.

Links to the horrid .

Third edit: Here's the .

Ich kann ihn auf Deutsch verstanden, aber nicht alles. Meine Kinder und mein Mann sind fluessig. Ich nicht. :cry: Und ich habe so viel Deutsch studiert! Ich werde nie perfekt.

Tschuß!

Chris/sehoy
sehoy

Re: re: "Three Stages in the Program of De-Hellenizatio

Postby Karen » September 16th, 2006, 5:05 pm

I know only a very little German, but I do get the gist of what you two are saying. :smile: You might want to read
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » September 16th, 2006, 7:28 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 16th, 2006, 8:21 pm

sehoy

Postby Leslie » September 16th, 2006, 10:06 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 17th, 2006, 9:48 am

Scalerswife and I were dissing the New York Times. Like shooting fish in a barrel, it's an easy [and fun] thing to do.

:toothy-grin:
sehoy

Postby Zeuxis » September 17th, 2006, 10:17 am

Hi Sehoy ! :smile:

You might be interested in reading for the coincidence of the two events is somehow interesting (though I think the pope, on a tactical POV, did commit a grave mistake).
Zeuxis
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 17th, 2006, 10:53 am

Hi Zeuxis!

Already read that this morning from an email forward. I don't agree with Mr. Varadarajan. [Big suprise...not] I've copied and read OF's writings from the internet since 11 Sept 01. She doesn't seem unhinged to me.

Somewhat related: check out Karen's in a previous post. I agree with the Anchoress.

My purpose in posting the Pope's address was to give people an opportunity to read the address without the media's filters and soundbites.

I don't think Pope Benedict blundered at all, and I think he is quite capable of knowing exactly what he is doing and saying. I support his position and stand with him in what he has said. I applaud his refusal to bow to media savy and political correctness. I would have dispised him if he had. I hope to God he does not apologize or back-pedal either. I'm so sick of people wimping out.
sehoy

Postby Zeuxis » September 17th, 2006, 11:06 am

Zeuxis
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » September 17th, 2006, 11:07 am

By the way, speaking of coincidences:

September 16, 2006

What a difference 25 years can make…or not.

Pope Benedict XVI has, appropriately, stopped just short of apologizing to the perpetually offended and angry Islamists, for daring to remind the world that violence is not the perfect means to effect conversion and promote faith, and that Islam has not progressed markedly away from the sword in some hundreds of years. An apology would be useless, of course, because one could never be crafted to placate them, short of Benedict’s bloody head on a silver platter.

Proving Benedict’s point, of course, radical Islamists have decided that introspection is unappetizing, and thus they have, quite predictably, begun to rampage, burn, pillage, and otherwise carry on pretty much the way people do when they feel trapped and want to change the subject.

I’m going to write more on that later, but what has struck me today is this talk of Benedict being assassinated in Turkey. There is a best-selling book predicting it, and it is apparently the big topic of conversation in certain chat rooms.

I can’t remember a time when the assassination of presidents and popes was so openly discussed by so many, and so clearly considered a desirable event by people who have lost their moral compasses.

All I can say to these folks is: be careful what you wish for.

In March of 1981 an attempt was made on the life of Ronald Reagan. Only a few months later, in May of ‘81, an attempt was made on the life of Pope John Paul II. Payback was a bitch.

Even though the attempt on Reagan’s life was born from a sick celebrity-obsession (quite unlike the attempt on John Paul’s life, which was political), those two very hated men, once recovered, ended up being enormously effective tools in the beating back of an evil ideology whose tentacles were vastly flung. Who knows if those two seemingly unrelated assasssination attempts, and the fortitude and courage with which the targets endured them, didn’t create a cosmic shift of sorts.

Hey, I’m entertaining a notion here - there are things seen and unseen.

As I wrote earlier this year, though on a different subject:

There have only been 43 American Presidents in 230 years. There have only been 267 popes in 2000 years. There have been billions of other people. Greatness is not an illusion.

By greatness, I don’t mean a quality of goodness, but that aspect of a public person which raises them above the ordinary. Popes and Presidents, by definition, crowd that category and, you know, I don’t think the universe likes it when its great men are targeted like this, or struck down.

Call it Karma. Call it God, or “Cosmic energy” or whatever you like. I don’t think it liked those assassination attempts in 1981, for things certainly (and quickly) doubled back and bit the asses of those who applauded the violence (was it Peggy Noonan who wrote that when Reagan was shot she heard cheers in the newsroom? I don’t remember, but I do remember reading that a few on the left had champagne bottles in the fridge, hoping he’d die.)

Today, were attempts made on the lives of President Bush or Pope Benedict XVI, I have no doubt that there would be cheers in some newsrooms (hello, NYT) and hopes that either (or both) would die. I have no doubt that some would pop their corks in gleeful anticipation.

And funnily enough, they’d mostly be the same people who did so in 1981.

If you’re one of those pathetic people intrigued with the idea of someone, or some entity, assassinating Bush or Benedict, heed my warning - be careful what you wish for. Payback will be a bitch. And you won’t see it coming. You didn’t last time.
sehoy

Postby sehoy » September 17th, 2006, 11:13 am

sehoy

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy