This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

How far SHOULD you judge Christ by Christians?

re: How far SHOULD you judge Christ by Christians?

Postby jo » September 22nd, 2006, 10:24 am

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » September 22nd, 2006, 10:53 am

He does say that sort of thing quite often... and I agree that it makes Paul a lot more palatable (he comes across very strongly on some controversial topics, so it's nice to know that he's a hypocrite :toothy-grin: ).

I'm always careful when mentioning that Jesus came for the sinners, as that can (if not worded well) give the impression that sin is "acceptable" practice within the church. We do need to hold each other accountable, and attempt to move towards being christ-like, and not be the same christians we were when we first repented. After all, we are supposed to "not be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds." Obviously I mean the sin is unacceptable. the people, as has been said, needed to be loved, but not left to stagnate in their sin (yes, that's right Linda, love the sinner, hate the sin :rolleyes: ).

I think there is something to be said for judging christianity by the state of the christians, although I would be less likely to judge Christ Himself (Him being God and all... I never thought of that as a clever move).
soul101
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 22nd, 2006, 12:06 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » September 22nd, 2006, 12:23 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Re: re: How far SHOULD you judge Christ by Christians?

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2006, 1:14 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 22nd, 2006, 1:30 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby soul101 » September 22nd, 2006, 1:37 pm

soul101
Wardrobian

Postby Allison » September 22nd, 2006, 1:42 pm

We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't.
--Frank A. Clark
Allison
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 22nd, 2006, 1:43 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » September 22nd, 2006, 3:34 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2006, 4:15 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » September 22nd, 2006, 6:00 pm

lately I have been kinda frustrated with christianity on the whole, it just seems that so many people act as though the bible is a nice set of rules that one must follow to recieve the favor of God on earth, i.e "If I pray alot and try to love people then God will bless me with a ___________ (insert blessing here) "

That attitude has been frustrating me a lot lately. First, God never said that earth would be a version of heaven, so I don't know why christians really place so much value on creature comforts, to the point that God can't work through them because they refuse to give those things up.

As I am reading Watchman Nee's book, The Release of the Spirit, I am finding that he is putting into words what I have been feeling for some time now. It seems that the attitude of christians I have been around is, "I just try the best I can". Well Jesus never said we need to try to follow Him. My husband and I had a great conversation where I was reminded that our "job" as christians isn't to try to do what God wants us to do, but we are supposed to get ourselves out of the way so that the Holy Spirit can move through us. He is the one who gives the strength to do what we must. If christians are trying to do good on their own, it's really no different than a "good person" doing good things.

I don't think that christians should be let off the hook in this area. I think that we have become too consumed with our programs and the progress.

I don't like to see Christ being judge by lazy, self absorbed, prideful, unloving people. Sadly though, this is what is happening because so many come to Christ because they think He will give them the warm fuzzies, but they are unwilling to give themselves over to the service of the King.

I don't say these things like I am some wonderful example to be followed, but the sad thing is, christians really are ambassadors and I am sad to see how He is being represented.
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 22nd, 2006, 8:05 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy