This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Should women be ordained

re: Ordination of Women?

Postby woodelk » September 25th, 2006, 11:08 pm

woodelk
Wardrobian

re: Ordination of Women?

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » September 26th, 2006, 12:10 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

re: Should women be ordained

Postby Sven » September 26th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: re: Ordination of Women?

Postby jo » September 26th, 2006, 7:23 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » September 27th, 2006, 5:43 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » September 27th, 2006, 6:44 am

God created man to lead the home and the church. He created woman to be more emotional and, althought it may not seem so, they really, at the root of it all, aren't best capable of carrying all the burden of the church.

Men and women have the same worth in God's eyes, but they have different roles.
"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 27th, 2006, 1:11 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby woodelk » September 27th, 2006, 5:54 pm

well, what can I say? I also am sith sunny and did not mean to come across as harsh or hostile. I suppose my vague reply could be misunderstood, and I apologize.

We are all children of God, whom he loves.

I think a good example is Martin Luther King alot of folks in the south
would never allow this man to be a preacher - because he was black.

These were for the most part good people, but turning a 'deaf ear' to God on this issue that was uncomfortable for them.

I see the same thing in the arguments against women being ordained.

okay, maybe a little hostile (can you blame us?)
woodelk
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 27th, 2006, 5:59 pm

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but the bible does not preach against black people being ordained ;). It does apparently say that women shouldn't be.

jo
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » September 27th, 2006, 8:04 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » September 27th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Gender roles were laid in Creation itself, founded before the Fall. I emphasize before because many Christians believe that traditional gender roles are a result of sin. Like work, they aren't. God created man and then he created woman to be a helpmeet before the fell.

The family can properly run on this structure only. Man must be the leader. I'm not saying I despise women, I just believe that man is to be leader in the family. And without the family, there would be no church. The church is just a larger family. In the Christian family, every event revolves around Christ as he is the one should each member should look to. It is the same way for the Church. All Christians serve God, but the man is to be the leader.

Although I don't particularly enjoy using this scripture in debates, read the 11th chapter of 1 Corinthians. Take note of verses 10-12.
"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 27th, 2006, 8:39 pm

You're just repeating the same thing; you're not answering WHY it is that families can't be run on different lines, or why women can't be in the church. Essentially, all you're saying is 'just because.' Can you elaborate?

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 27th, 2006, 9:14 pm

I know many women who are far better leaders than many men. Smarter too and more suited to a preaching/teaching/holding people together in fellowship role. I think that women can be, and some are, as good at this as men. If that is all ordination is designed for, then women ought to be allowed to be ordained. Women run businesses, why not churches, after all?

As a Catholic, though, I oppose women's ordaination, and I can give you a reason, Jo. The priest stands in persona Christi, in the person of Christ. That is, at ordination there is a change in the priest's soul that enables them to somehow represent Christ in a way that no one else can. They use this in the Mass, when they act as Christ in re-presenting the sacrifice of Calvary to God the Father. It's really compicated and no one quite understands it, but that's the reason. I don't think the issue of women's ordination has anything to do with education or talents, but ontology (the study of being or essence, what a thing really is, not what it looks like. )

And I do agree with ArdenZ's analysis about the family and it being set up before the fall, but, like Lewis says in That Hideous Strength, equality between the sexes is very hard to lay out, and often falls apart in practice in our bent world.
Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby jo » September 27th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Hi Sarah :)

The thing is, priests are obviously NOT Christ, are obviously human like the rest of us. I hate to beat a dead horse but the behavour of some priests does show that they do NOT become CHrist-like, or any particular change take place, at ordination .. if that were so, surely priests could never falter? And yet they do. So why not a woman as well as a man? :)

jo
Wardrobian

Re: re: Should women be ordained

Postby nomad » September 27th, 2006, 9:50 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy