This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

world unification

world unification

Postby napalm dog » October 3rd, 2006, 10:42 pm

Does anyone know anything about the World Unification Church (moonies) ?
It sounds like the coming of the one world religion to me, but the only information I could get about it online came from "conspiracy theory" websites which didnt seem very reliable. What I really want to know is whether or not their leader has proclaimed himself to be a messiah and if this is true how does he have so many followers who call themselves Christians?
napalm dog

Re: world unification

Postby Karen » October 3rd, 2006, 11:08 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

re: world unification

Postby napalm dog » October 3rd, 2006, 11:25 pm

Thanks, but Im still wondering how Christian leaders or anyone who professes to be a christian can support him following his proclamation that he is the Messiah. Maybe Im unduly paranoid, but it seems like his organization is fairly strong, and Im particularly worried about the people who profess to be followers of Christ, but are associated with a self-appointed demagogue.
Im not questioning their faith Im just hoping to get some more opinions about this.
napalm dog

Postby alecto » October 3rd, 2006, 11:51 pm

In the late 1970's there were a lot of charges that the Unification Church were "brainwashing" teenagers and college students by getting them to stop communicating with family and friends and secluding them in church-only groups. Shows like 60 Minutes fairly bristled with Unification Church stories for awhile. At that time, the UC was seen as the archetypical cult. I believe also that it is Rev. Moon who simultaneously married a thousand people (or something like that) a couple decades ago. (Which didn't get him any good press.) I encountered the supposed cult in 1980 as the "Collegiate Association for the Research of Principles" (CARP) one of whom pressured me oh so hard to come to a meeting in Washington DC, when I was visiting there. The approach was really slick and "professional". Even though it was just a guy on the street, he had obviously been coached and sold his little philosophy club far better than most door-to-door salesmen sell their wares. He never mentioned any church, but I had passed by the UC/CARP recruitment table earlier where they were open about it, so I knew. Since I had heard the cult thing, I strung this guy out a little so I could learn what the deal was. I think their modus operandi was mostly peer-pressure aimed at people "leaving the nest". He had a lot of "you'll meet friends" kind of pitches.

I have no idea what the UC is up to today, or whether they still have "tactics", or whether people still worry about them being a cult.
Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Re: re: world unification

Postby Karen » October 4th, 2006, 1:09 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » October 4th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

Postby Rosie Cotton » October 5th, 2006, 1:46 pm

I believe you're thinking of the Rajneeshees, who hung out in Eastern Oregon for a while in the 80's
[/img]
... and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.
Rosie Cotton
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » October 6th, 2006, 8:53 am

They used to sell flowers at some intersection in my sity back in the 70's.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 6th, 2006, 11:20 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » October 7th, 2006, 5:56 am

Well, that certain cult has been around for awhile and I believe that the one world church spoken of in Scriptures is going to be a more conforming movement, a movement that will deceive many religious people and, what I believe, falsely bring the Roman Catholics and Protestants together--of course with every other religion under the sun. What I'm saying is that I believe it is going to take on the form of every religion--even Christianity--and deceive the lot of mankind.
"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Re: re: world unification

Postby Mary » October 7th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Mary
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy