This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

For my flesh is food indeed

For my flesh is food indeed

Postby Pizza Man » October 28th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Re: For my flesh is food indeed

Postby Karen » October 28th, 2006, 5:34 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » October 28th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 28th, 2006, 7:04 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby warren_piece » October 30th, 2006, 10:18 pm

warren_piece
Wardrobian

Postby hana » October 31st, 2006, 5:33 am

Ditto to Karen (and N.T. Wright). I understand Christ to be the elements in a mystic sense, and I grew up a Baptist and have attended Presbyterian and Anglican churches as well. I know one of my old Presbyterian pastors deliberately jumps up and down on the fact that communion is not just a symbol.

Christ in addition to being bread and wine is also running water, a large wildcat, a road, the sun, a star, a herder of sheep, a vine, a root, a word/idea and so forth. For some reason these symbols/realities don't seem so controversial.

From what I know about the Hebrew language, it runs heavy on nouns but not so heavy on adjectives. Karen, do you think this characteristic could have fostered a culture full of unmere metaphors such as the above? Or did the culture foster the language perhaps?
previously on the list as hapahana/hanachiyo/hannah. joined in early '99.
hana
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » October 31st, 2006, 9:39 am

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 31st, 2006, 12:51 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Inariae » November 4th, 2006, 8:11 am

If it was not real presence, then why did Christians (who had known the apostles, no less) so clearly affirm that it was?
Media vita in morte sumus.

"Love loves unto purity...it strives for perfection, even that itself may be perfected - not in itself, but in the object...Therefore all that is not beautiful in the beloved, all that comes between and is not of love's kind, must be destroyed. And our God is a consuming fire...that only that which cannot be consumed may stand forth eternal." - George MacDonald
Inariae
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » November 4th, 2006, 12:30 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » November 4th, 2006, 11:47 pm

May God bless you!

Member of the 2456317 Club

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"
-Jesus Christ, John 6:53

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » November 5th, 2006, 11:54 am

Hey Pizza Man.

Marcus Grodi points out that Jesus (John 15) tells us to abide in him and we shall bear fruit (love one another) and have the fullness of joy. And how is it we abide in him? Well, as Jesus said earlier in John 6:56, "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.."

God bless,

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » November 5th, 2006, 1:52 pm

[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » November 5th, 2006, 4:54 pm

May God bless you!

Member of the 2456317 Club

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"
-Jesus Christ, John 6:53

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » November 5th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy