This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Bible and Homosexuality

Postby alecto » March 21st, 2007, 11:35 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 22nd, 2007, 3:22 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » March 22nd, 2007, 7:24 am

::In the end, since I acknowledge a different authority and one Holy, Universal* and Apostolic Church, and that the Orthodox Church IS that Church, your arguments are non-sequiter for me. The sooner everyone acknowledges that most of us share neither Church nor authority, the sooner this thread will die. The only reason the topic even pops up is because of the modern insistence by many on establishing the normalization of HB in society. And that's the reason these threads keep popping up. And on it goes, in a great circle.

The thread keeps popping up because your side does not listen very closely.

I acknowledge the authority of the Church. The Church forbids a very particular act. The church insists on defining that act as "homosexuality." But people who claim to be "homosexuals" as an identity thus claim that there is something more than, and in fact potentially entirely separate from, the act to being homosexual.

What is the stance of the church on this identity? It has no stance because it does not acknowledge it's existence. What is the stance of the church on two men who pledge their lives to one another but do not express it in one very particular act? They have nothing to say according to principle, but much to say according to person. What is the stance of the church on the concept of romantic love and affection between men? It has no stance, because it is too busy talking about a specific sex act.

Finally, if the church ever decided that not only this particular act, but even the pledge and the love between men was sinful, it would have to ask itself, how have we failed our own sons?

In my estimation, if the act, the pledge, and the love are all sinful, it does not make the Church right, it makes the Church all the more culpable for a multitude of sins of ommission.

And the bottom line is, if I lie down in bed next to another man each night, I am violating no code or principle or law or doctrine, but I know that I could find plenty of Christians lining up to condemn it, and still more who would at least insist it was "creepy" or some such visceral nonsense. The heart of the problem, and the reasons discussions like this continue, is that members of the Church rarely even understand their own doctrinal positions on the matter, and still less understand that "homosexuality" is separate from the type of act they censor, and in fact often does not include it at all.

So please, stop insulting me with your cry that we don't share an authority. It is contempt disguised as patience. The Church is my mother too, but you do not listen to her very closely, and you do not know your brother like She knows Her son.
"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 22nd, 2007, 9:29 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » March 22nd, 2007, 9:54 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2007, 1:20 pm

Postby alecto » March 22nd, 2007, 2:36 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » March 22nd, 2007, 3:04 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 22nd, 2007, 4:20 pm

Postby raven44 » March 22nd, 2007, 9:54 pm

Homosexuality is a great sin. In Dante's 'DC' you'll find them in the seventh circle of hell. But I tend to think some of you do not believe in the reality of hell. It is not a vague idea of a place without God's love. Those who lived in the Middle Ages were right. Satan is real and so the hell is real. God created a man and a woman not two men to live happily ever after.
raven44

Postby john » March 23rd, 2007, 12:06 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 23rd, 2007, 2:44 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 23rd, 2007, 3:05 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » March 23rd, 2007, 3:43 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby john » March 23rd, 2007, 8:43 pm

Hm...

I am this close to asking you guys to exchange email addresses if you wish to continue this discussion. I believe the topic of homosexuality has been exhausted through and through on various threads for far too long.
Last edited by john on March 24th, 2007, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy