This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Christmas reflections

Christmas reflections

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 25th, 2006, 11:43 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » December 26th, 2006, 1:38 pm

A very thoughtful and interesting post, Stanley. My response will show my Christmas thoughts--albeit in a very round-about fashion!

Half of my family are Irish Catholics, so I wasn't raised with any hostility to Mary, nor did I ever--then or now--see her as a stumbling block.

There are some Protestants in my family, but I always knew that if I were to be Christian at all, I would have to convert to Catholicism. In my prejudiced mind, it has always seemed the only 'real' form of Christianity.

Well, I suppose the Orthodox churches do seem 'real'--but too foreign to my own upbringing. And Protestantism always seemed 'not the real thing.' That is, of course, merely a misguided prejudice on my part, but I always knew that I'd sooner be at constant odds with Church doctrine and the pope as a Catholic than live without either as a Protestant.

I've always thought Mary was one of the most attractive features of Catholicism. My reasons for this might horrify some Christians--Catholic and Protestant--but you can just roll your eyes and remember who these thoughts are coming from :wink:

Mary's a nice Jewish girl on the one hand and a throwback to Isis on the other. The cult of Isis was one of the most powerful in Rome when Christianity started making headway. If Apuleius can be trusted, it was a monothestic religion: Isis was the single embodiement of all gods and goddesses. She was also a loving, ethical mother to us all. In the western world, Isis was the last great expression of God as feminine.

When Christianity triumphed, statues of Isis and her baby Horus were just christened into Mary and Jesus. And some of Isis's titles--like Queen of Heaven--were given to Mary. I never thought that was a bad thing. On the contrary, I was glad that something of Isis survived in this sweet Jewish girl from Nazareth. I don't mind our relentlessly masculine way of referring to God--just as long as there are reminders, like Mary, that God can also be female.

So strongly did I feel about Mary that I even argued with a professor once over his interpretation of the 'Wedding at Cana' story. He kept going on about new wine--I gave him a confused look and said that the story had nothing to do with that.

"Very well, then, let's hear your interpretation," he invited.

I winked at him and said, "The point of the story of the wedding at Cana is that if you want Jesus to do something for you, you should get his mother to ask him."

I got an appreciative laugh from nearly everyone in the class at that--including the professor.

It was a hard thing for me when I realized that I couldn't be Catholic. I couldn't bring myself to recite the creed when I didn't agree with anything other than, "We believe in one God, the father, the almighty." (Well, I agree that Jesus was crucified under Pilate, but that event doesn't have the same significance to me that it has to Christians.)

The interesting thing was that I made my peace with not being a Christian long before I made my peace with not being a Catholic. That's because I grew up surrounded by the Catholic mythos. Even the Catholics in my family who hate the Church are still, in that very hatred, engaged with Catholicism.

But there was one other mythos in my family that, ultimately, seemed even deeper and more real to me than Catholicism. Even when I was trying to decide about conversion to Catholicism, my most regular place of worship was a synagogue on the upper west side of Manhattan.

Late into a Christmas party this year, when there were only about five of us left, a serious discussion of religion arose. Our poor hostess was the lone Protestant surrounded by three Catholics and one person (me) who was quite sympathetic to the Catholic mythos.

We were talking about how hard it is for someone who's gay to leave Catholicism and go to a liberal Protestant church--even though it would seem in his best interest to do so. But we were agreeing that, for many people who are raised Catholic, Protestantism just doesn't seem as 'real.'

This led to our hostess having to suffer plenty of good-natured ribbing as she stood up (quite eloquently) for Protestantism. Nonetheless, the ribbing continued--and I even helped it along. Heck, I think I even initiated it.

But then I decided to switch sides. "Ok," I began, addressing myself to one of the Cathoics. "Now I'll say something against the 'realness' of Catholicism. Why would you settle for being a member of the Church when you can be part of the people Israel?"

Our hostess greeted that question with applause and approval as the Catholic in question raised his eyebrows at the unexpected assault. "Well," he said with a half-hearted shrug, "the Messiah has already come."

"But why practice the religion about Jesus when you can practice the religion of Jesus?" I teased.

We left it at that, with laughs all around, but I thought about it on the ride home. In one sense, I believe that all ethical religions are of equal value and are equally God-intended. But in another, I really do think of Judaism as more 'real' even than Catholicism. What I should think, of course, is that it's more 'real' for me. But I have to keep reminding myself of that.

And that's what I thought about this Christmas. The two great religious stories in my family are the Catholic mythos and the Jewish mythos. Consequently, despite a number of experiments, they're the only two religions that could ever draw me in and transform me.

When I sat in church with my family on Christmas, I thought about how Catholicism will remain, for me, the road not taken. And for the first time I really felt at peace with that. I don't have the luxury of meditating on the 'Hail Mary' anymore--but now each Friday night I greet Shabbat (the Sabbath) like a queen. And during services on Saturday I can reach out and touch the Torah scrolls with a prayerbook and then kiss the prayerbook. (The Torah, like Shabbat, is also feminine).

I had made my peace with Jesus--that brilliant, challenging and sometimes aggravating rabbi from Nazareth--long ago. But this Christmas I made sure to go up to Mary's statue. I wanted to thank that sweet Jewish girl for being there for so much of my journey. And I wanted to tell her that, despite my personal prejudices, I was glad that she would continue to be there for so many in my family. :pleased:
Last edited by JRosemary on December 26th, 2006, 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » December 26th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Sorry! Somehow got a double post!
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » December 26th, 2006, 2:16 pm

Beautiful posts, both of you!
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » December 26th, 2006, 2:25 pm

Time for my stereotypically protestant response to Stanley's thoughtful comments.

I find it interesting that the New Testament evangelists, and presumably the earliest Christians, neither celebrated Christmas nor practiced veneration of Mary. To the former, two of the gospel writers thought the birth of Jesus to be such an insignificant event--in comparison to his ministry, death, and resurrection--that they didn't even mention it (although it has been asserted by some scholars that our version of Mark is missing a prologue and an epilogue that were in the original, where the prologue might include a nativity story). None of the four, and none of the other NT writers, give us any clue as to when, precisely, the birth of Jesus occurred. It just was not, to them, a very important event. It was not celebrated. To the extent that the incarnation is important, and it certainly is important, it occurred not just at the moment of Jesus's birth in a Bethlehem stable, but every successive moment thereafter until his death. Christmas, like our latter subject, was a Roman invention intended (also perhaps like our latter subject) to "paganize" the ever-growing Christian religion (if you can't beat it, change it). I don't mean "paganize" with necessarily a negative connotation, although I also don't take Christmas, as we celebrate it, to be a particularly Christian holiday.

I'm going to leave the second topic alone, primarily because it really has nothing to do with Christmas and secondarily because Mary, as a result of such debates, tends to receive too much veneration from one side and too little veneration from the other.
ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » December 26th, 2006, 4:10 pm

"Hail Mary, full of grace. Blessed art thee above women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus."

correction: Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Mary was the last barrier for me, too, and a major hurdle, since I didn't like women very much at all, and it was the bible study done on this website about the marriage at Cana that finally brought me round.

It was Mary's words, "Do whatever he says," that got to me.

I love hearing about your first Catholic Christmas experiences, Stanley. I can't wait to hear about your Easter ones.

Merry Christmas.
Last edited by sehoy on December 28th, 2006, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Josh » December 26th, 2006, 4:45 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » December 26th, 2006, 4:53 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » December 28th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Apologies, Josh. I completely botched the Hail Mary quote. Apparently there is a major disconnect between my rote memory and writing ability. :blush:

Corrected: Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Stanley Anderson » December 28th, 2006, 3:20 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » December 28th, 2006, 4:41 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby sehoy » December 28th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Just think! For nine months, Mary carried the incarnate God inside her body and just under her heart. He is interwoven with her DNA and her flesh.

What must that be like?! To be that intimately connected with God.

It boggles my mind. And it made me realize that the "above" misquote was a kind of a freudian slip and a humbling reminder to me, that she really was blessed "above other women."
cor meum vigilat
sehoy

Postby Lirenel » December 29th, 2006, 1:14 am

Well, off the subject of Mary and such, I also had a Christmas revelation. The first people to visit the baby Jesus were the shepherds: Jews. Then a year or so later, the magi from the east came and visited: Gentiles. It just struck me that this symbolized the early church: Firs the Jews came to Jesus, then the Gentiles. Neither was places above the others though the Magi were obviously richer. Both groups humbled themselves before God incarnate.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » December 30th, 2006, 2:08 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 3rd, 2007, 4:11 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy