This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ten Commandments test

:)

Postby alliebath » January 19th, 2007, 6:25 pm

Adam, both Jesus and Paul expected an imminent end-time—and perhaps it would be truer to argue for the writers of the Pauline tradition, i.e. those influenced by Paul and writing the Pastoral Epistles, to be particularly down on women. But in the light of Jesus extraordinary inclusiveness of women this seems even stranger.

I probably cross all sorts of lines marked down in the sand because I was not aware that the nature of this forum was fully academic debate. On another forum, arguing against a fellow poster, who was a conservative evangelical, we got down to detailed discussion of Greek terms, word contexts, roots of words etc. etc. It was incredibly stimulating as we effectively going through major chunks of the Letter to the Romans, and at the time I was reading Pelagius’ commentary on it.

Effectively we reduced that discussion down to very few people and in the end we could not and did not agree.

It sharpened up my theology no end.

If I may say so, you made a wrong assumption about me and where I was coming from on a personal level. I think you were wrong to do this, because you then displayed the arrogance of someone further along the path of learning and knowledge. Now you may well be, if, as you say, you were at university from the age of thirteen and have been teaching for three years. But I have always taught people it does not matter how good an argument something is, you still need to go away and think about it for yourself. The argument may still hold up, but there’s something that just is not right for you. And that’s fine.

I remember disagreeing strongly with someone who was reduced to the argument of: I have studied this for three years and just written a dissertation on it. Fine, but all that work does not, in the end, make it right.

I sometimes go in like a bull in a china shop to get reactions: and I will fight my corner, but eventually go away and reflect on it. And I may well be changed by it, hopefully, probably, in some way.

At least there is an encounter rather than some sort of ordained and passed down knowledge—and I think that is how we grow, through experience. So I do not believe in divine automatic writing and I do not believe that a vision enables anyone to know the mind of Christ of have the ability to discover and translate mysterious gold tablets. Whatever Paul experienced, from his own words, it dealt with very little of Jesus as a man —the incarnation of God, whatever that might mean.
Gott würfelt nicht.
Albert Einstein
alliebath
Wardrobian

Re: :)

Postby Adam » January 19th, 2007, 8:48 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby alliebath » January 19th, 2007, 11:40 pm

Fine, Adam, we can debate or disagree (or even agree) about the words and concepts we use and not who we are and what we are.

I am reminded of the story of the Emperor’s New Clothes, where it is the naïvety of the child who points out that there are no new clothes. We all need to be that child to each other’s assumptions.

Maybe I am coming too battered and bruised from fighting other battles and need to reassess and recalibrate, as it were, my approach.

:grin:
Gott würfelt nicht.
Albert Einstein
alliebath
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » January 20th, 2007, 12:00 am

ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » January 20th, 2007, 12:46 am

Hi, Adam,

I've never ceased being your friend (as much as we can be in the rather limited arena of a forum like this). I have been frustrated with your frustration with my homosexuality thread. And perplexed. Perhaps moreso than I should be on both counts. I always seem to be in some irritating argument with Wolf or Josh. You seemed to be attacking my methods as not worthy of my time, but what I was doing I am very good at and can do in much less time than maybe it seems.

As for suggesting that you were the undergrad theology student who just discovered the Gospel of Thomas, I was considering that a compliment. Were I to be in such a place, I would think it very exciting. I'm sorry if it made it look like I was heaping it on.
Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » January 20th, 2007, 11:12 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » January 20th, 2007, 11:20 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » January 22nd, 2007, 11:10 pm

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » January 23rd, 2007, 1:32 pm

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » January 23rd, 2007, 4:57 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

:(

Postby alliebath » January 23rd, 2007, 6:47 pm

Gott würfelt nicht.
Albert Einstein
alliebath
Wardrobian

Re: :(

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » January 24th, 2007, 4:16 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » January 25th, 2007, 10:49 am

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » January 25th, 2007, 6:48 pm

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Re: :(

Postby Carrie » January 26th, 2007, 2:50 am

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy