This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Ten Commandments test

Re: :(

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » January 26th, 2007, 6:46 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby Boromir » January 26th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Grown-ups are always thinking of uninteresting explanations.

Digory
Boromir
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » January 27th, 2007, 4:11 am

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » January 27th, 2007, 6:11 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » January 27th, 2007, 6:35 am

CoinOperatedChristian,

I just wanted to step in and agree wholeheartedly with your criticism of Lutherans for not living up to the ideas and practices of their own traditions.

I also dislike how they are selfish when they are young, weak when they are old, get dirty when they go outside, and let out a foul odor when they are deceased. Come to think of it, I'm not too fond of their insistence on being mortal, either.

I wonder if being a Lutheran but misunderstanding Luther's third use of the Law is anything like being a Christian but taking great pleasure in removing specks from other people's eyes.
"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » January 27th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Your sarcasm is duly noted, and somewhat appreciated. It’s not the best sarcasm, but then not everyone has the knack for telling jokes. Like most attempts at truth in humor, the art is in the delivery. And of course the closer you actually get to the truth, the better the humor. Sarcasm literally means to “bite the flesh” after all, so the point of any good sarcasm is use humor in the application of delivering the truth into the blood stream… so it’s taken to heart.

Now, the truth is… I like and admire Lutheranism. I even like and admire most Lutherans. We happen to have several Lutherans (of the liberal variety) on staff. We often have visiting pastors on campus quite frequently. I enjoy our discussions… usually.

Absolutely I’m open to criticism… the best one is that I dance around with all the Christian denomination without choosing membership in any one of them. I would be a Roman Catholic because I think their link to the historic One Christian and Apostolic Church has the best claim, but do not believe the Catholic Church today has much in common with that historic faith. I flirt with Lutheranism because I think their doctrines are spot on-- but their practice is all over the map. One has to pick and choose between their individual congregations, depending on the pastor and the leadership. They are a synod held together by a common benefit package, not in a common confession.
It only gets worse from there as far as American Evangelicalism goes… so I stand-alone. Arrogant in my own way, but earnestly desiring community. And wishing that either the Lutherans would get their act together or that Rome would have a reformation that actually restored grace. Meanwhile… I’m open to the criticism of being aloof… but not unloving, which is where your sarcasm hurts rather than heals. A false truth is a poison. Honest truth is a cure.
If I’m a bit hard on Lutherans it is not out of hate or anger, but actually deep love and affection for them as a desire to see them catch on and catch hold of the gifts they have to offer all of us.
CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Postby Carrie » January 27th, 2007, 8:00 pm

COP,
It just so happens that I have checked with Concordia Seminary in St. Louis. My husband happens to be a student there. In one of his systematics classes they talked about lex semper accusit and its applications to all three uses of the law. I will not supply a citation for the professor or the class, however, as neither my husband or I want to drag someone else into this discussion without their permission, especially since you seem so intent to call us arrogant without realizing your own. Don't continue to tell me I don't know my own theology and I don't check my sources, because I do. I could run circles around you theologically, but I will not do so any longer, because you obviously aren't intent on actually listening.
My participation in this discussion ends here.
"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

Member of The 2456317 Club
Carrie
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » January 28th, 2007, 4:22 am

CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy