This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

NT Wright lecture

NT Wright lecture

Postby Karen » January 6th, 2007, 1:37 am

On his book, , at Calvin College.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 6th, 2007, 2:11 am

oh, Michigan... only two states and a really big lake away!
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » January 6th, 2007, 12:49 pm

There is an interview with him in the most recent issue of Christianity Today, talking about Simply Christian and connecting it to Mere Christianity. You can read the interview .
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Adam Linton » January 6th, 2007, 6:31 pm

we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » January 6th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Just this morning, before seeing Karen’s post, I got a copy of Simply Christian from the library. I’m greatly looking forward to reading it. All that I’ve read by Wright so far is his part of the book he co-authored with Borg.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » January 6th, 2007, 11:08 pm

Simply Christian is Wright's attempt to hit the mainstream of Christian publishing (thus, his book stops in the U.S. in the last year--I was at one myself in Georgetown a few months ago). The fact that it hasn't really cracked the market yet is a sad commentary on the current state of Christian literature. It is very, very well done. It's too bad that you have to write a repackaged, shallow self-help book to get a prominent place on book store shelves in the Christianity section these days.

The books that put Wright on the map with scholars and arm chair theologians were his comprehensive Christian Origins and the Question of God series (which is only about half done so far) and What Saint Paul Really Said, where he threw down the gauntlet in the "New Perspective on Paul" movement.
ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » January 7th, 2007, 12:19 am

Another recent Wright work, somewhat more popular in style and audience, but - in my view also solid and much worth the read is The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture.
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » January 7th, 2007, 12:54 am

I like The Last Word too. The Wright book that really knocked me off my feet is The Challenge of Jesus.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » January 7th, 2007, 1:07 am

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » January 7th, 2007, 1:41 am

I actually did not like The Last Word very much. It probably would have been better if Wright's editors had allowed him more space.

I'd like to see Wright scale back on the pop Christian market a bit and finish his Christian Origins series. He's a good, readable author, but he is at his best as a historian.
ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy