This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

So, all us Christians are crazy...

So, all us Christians are crazy...

Postby The Bigsleep J » January 16th, 2007, 11:53 am

... and equatable to the loony of the month? Atheism has been more tactful.

Off course the "your beliefs are silly" / absurdist approach have been done to Christianity for years. If an atheist showed you this picture (or something similar) and told you to "wake up", what would your response be?
Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Josh » January 16th, 2007, 12:57 pm

My affection and tendency toward presuppositional (contra classical) apologetics would lead me toward a third frame to the cartoon, possibly with the following quote in the cloud:

"Materialism isn't dead! It's coming back to life again in a new form, just as it did after the apparent deaths of Epicureanism, Enlightenment-era naturalism, and existentialism. This must be so because it is certain that the universe must be a closed, deterministic system based on random, sequential causation. Of course, it is a random chain of causation that leads me to reach such a conclusion and true truth is just an illusion. I nevertheless base my belief in the "truth" of materialism on faith, which, of course, is more virtuous than actual evidence when it suits my ends, which, of course, are more noble than those of religion because they are the unbiased ends of science. Of course, my materialism also prevent things like bias and nobility from having any real meaning. But that's not important. What is important is that religionists are deluded, although calling a thing a delusion implies the existence of truth, which my materialism tells me does not exist. In fact, my materialism, taken to its logical ends with all hint of faith removed, would lead me to the untrue truth that I don't exist. Is Starbucks open after 11?"

Was it Francis Bacon would said that a little philosophy leads one to atheism, while much philosophy leads one to religion?
ecclesia semper reformata, semper reformanda.

--John Calvin
Josh
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » January 16th, 2007, 1:10 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Re: So, all us Christians are crazy...

Postby alecto » January 16th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby Summer » January 16th, 2007, 2:57 pm

Ah, there's no denying it! I'm as crazy as a loon! :toothy-grin:

I think the main difference is that the crazy man is going to degenerate into a paranoid man who is of little benefit to society. However, a solid Christian will grow as an individual and become a huge benefit to the community they live in.
People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it turned out they were twins." ~Terry Pratchett, about libraries
And we shall reach zero at some point. :)
Summer
Wardrobian

Re: So, all us Christians are crazy...

Postby Adam » January 16th, 2007, 5:24 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 8th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Atheists can be arrogant, or perhaps they are people who are merely searching for the truth. C. S. Lewis was one such person before his conversion. Then he realized that Christians might not be so crazy after all, and the logic of that became reality for him. I think we have to be patient with people who are skeptics (also applies to agnostics) and hope that one day they'll come to realize that God does exist and it is possible to know Him personally.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Mary » April 8th, 2007, 2:21 pm

Heh! My response with big batting eyes and best Cali-girl incredulous voice: "Omygosh! Are you ...... proseletyzing me?"

Or just: "Oh yeah....I know those guys."

Because that's more like iike it...
Mary
Wardrobian

Postby tangent » April 8th, 2007, 6:04 pm

tangent
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » April 11th, 2007, 2:47 am

matdonna
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy