This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What does God think of non believers?

What does God think of non believers?

Postby jo » January 24th, 2007, 4:03 pm

What does God feel towards non believers? Do you think He feels angry - or sad or indifferent or disinterested or bored or ... anything else? If there is a God I mean. I am agnostic and I wonder, if Christianity is true, what GOd makes me people like me who have been raised in an ostensibly CHristian society and yet do not believe.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 24th, 2007, 4:32 pm

I should think he misses you.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby CoinOperatedChristian » January 25th, 2007, 6:38 am

Why guess at the mind of God? Yet I believe the above answer is more than likely true. But if you would like a real answer, a sure and certain answer, why not go to the source and ASK?

He tells you just how He feels about it... (I would choose the words "Think about it" since thoughts are objective and feelings are subjective... but that's just my preference for saying what you mean to say rather that what you intended to say) in his revealed WORD. When in doubt of God's mind, God's Love or God attitude... go to the scriptures. Read it for yourself.

Note I said consult the scriptures, and not to simply (ask) PRAY... if all you do is bow your head in prayer, then all you will get in your head are your own thoughts and feelings and ideas about God. Rather, let His Word proclaim who He is and what He has done, and will do and is doing.
When you consult His Word, at least, your not guessing any more but you have a divine source of inspiration.

OK go ahead and make the claim that the scriptures are simply written by men. If you believe that, then your skeet out of luck... every source you will turn to after that is subjective, and you will never find a clear answer to your question.

The reason that I ask you to do this on your own is to avoid the trap...
"I say this is what God says." You want to know what God says... read it yourself. "Thus says the Lord." carries more weight than my personal opinions.
CoinOperatedChristian
Wardrobian

Re: What does God think of non believers?

Postby Adam » January 25th, 2007, 6:57 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 25th, 2007, 12:22 pm

I think that you can usually tell how a person feels by observing their actions.
So look at God's actions over the years... what does He feel based on that?
Well, He gave His Only Son to sinners, so He must love us.
He offers mercy, and pardon, and freedom from sin, so He must have compassion on us.
He wants to have a close relationship with repentant sinners, so He must even like us! He actually wants to spend time with us! That never ceases to amaze me.
He won't reject us until we absolutely reject Him. Then He must preserve His holiness and He can't allow offenses to go unpunished because that wouldn't be just. But that isn't a feeling; that's just the law.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » January 25th, 2007, 12:41 pm

He might feel sad if people are always skeptical of Him. I think He would be happier if people would move beyond their questioning towards real faith in Him. There really isn't anything to be gained by remaining a skeptic or an agnostic forever. It may be a good thing to question some things like why we are here, but sometime you have to move beyond that point if you want a relationship with your Creator or any happiness for yourself. Just wondering "Is God really really here?" and not doing anything else doesn't seem to go anywhere, at least not for me.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby interloper » January 25th, 2007, 1:04 pm

I agree with CoinOperatedChristian, but I feel we can be best assured by studying the life and teachings of Jesus in particular. After all, it is through Jesus that God reveals His mind most plainly to mankind. So I would say study Jesus's life and teachings and, if you're wondering what God's attitude is towards unbelievers, try to get a picture of what Jesus's attitude was. To those who insist they are right to the exclusion of everyone else, He is hard and unyielding. But from the earlies stages of repentance, self-effacement and recognition of our own sinfulness, His mercy and love are abundant.

I like the account of Jesus's dealings with the man who was blind from birth, in St John Chapter 9. This is an unusually long and detailed record of an incident in His healing ministry, and analyzes not only the action of healing itself, but the attitude of those connected with the incident. In particular the religious leaders were sceptical of the healed man's story and kept plying him with the same questions, their aim of course being to discredit Jesus. The last few verses of the chapter are particularly illuminating, and very forceful. Jesus states, rather enigmatically, that His mission to the world is to open the eyes of the blind, but also to confound those who think they see, and effectively make them blind (blindness and sight here referring to a spiritual rather than a physical condition). Some of the Pharisees listening said to Him, "and are we blind too?". To this Jesus made one of His highly memorable replies (KJV): "if ye were blind, ye should have no sin, but now ye say We see; therefore your sin remaineth".
interloper
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » January 25th, 2007, 2:24 pm

"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby jo » January 26th, 2007, 2:07 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy