This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Demons and the demonic

Demons and the demonic

Postby jo » January 29th, 2007, 10:56 am

This is something that I've been thinking about quite a lot lately - not, I hope, in a fixated or brooding way but just inquisitive, I hope. I would like to know what people think of demons - whether they exist, if so what they are, what they can do, where they come from, etc. I don't tend to believe in 'supernatural' things but that said, I often wonder - well, what if I'm wrong? It's an unsettling thought that there might BE malevolent beings around us that we cannot see :(.

Five bucks to the first person who quotes Lewis on the subject - something about those who dwell too much on the demonic finding out about it sooner or later I believe :). I do not see anything wrong in asking questions and getting others' opinions though.

(can anyone tell me what the 'official' position of different church denominations is, as well as individual opinions?).
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby john » January 29th, 2007, 12:37 pm

"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight."

Screwtape Letters

Five bucks, ? :pleased:
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby jo » January 29th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Done.
"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby john » January 29th, 2007, 1:17 pm

w00t!
john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 29th, 2007, 7:43 pm

Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Location: The corner of 'No and where' (WA) The REAL Washington

Postby john » January 29th, 2007, 10:28 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby jo » January 30th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Hey I paid five bucks! Let's have some intelligent input people!

Well okay, let's have some input anyway :D

jo
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 30th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Yes, I do believe that they exist. I have "seen" them on three different occasions, along with one time I "saw" one (I guess best described as a spirit of a person) that "lived" at a dear friend's house. As to the different denomination's stand, from the churches that I have attended, most, if not all, believe they exist but don't speak of them alot. I think that is so that our attention is not focused on them, but the One who can save us from them. Just IMO, of course.
How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 30th, 2007, 10:47 pm

sorry Jo :blush:
Today I went to IKEA and hid in the wardrobes, and every time someone opened the doors I welcomed them to Narnia!!
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 30th, 2007, 11:09 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » January 30th, 2007, 11:16 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » January 30th, 2007, 11:47 pm

I do believe they exist... sometimes I worry that I may be a bit too interested. For some reason I am extremely interested in exorcisms and the lot.
The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » January 31st, 2007, 1:10 am

That was an excellent quote from Lewis!

Sorry to have stirred the pot...I was taking some time to think about a response...coming from a Christian heritage, it of course is based on my personal beliefs...I hope you find it helpful...

Satan and his demons are fallen angels, true and real personal beings who wage war against God, the holy angels, and humanity.Revelation 12:9 is the clearest Scripture on the identity of demons, "The great dragon was hurled down-that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him." The Bible indicates that the demons are fallen angels – angels who along with Satan rebelled against God. Satan’s fall from heaven is described in Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:12-15.

Demons are spiritual beings, but they can appear in physical forms (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). The demons / fallen angels are enemies of God – but they are defeated enemies. Greater is He who is in us, than those who are in the world (1 John 4:4).

I once heard someone say that if we could see the demons we would be running around batting them with sticks and yelling "Get away from my child you nasty vile creature!" :lol:

As for the attraction...there was a time in my life when I had a very unhealthy attraction regarding them. Not in such a way as to become a satanist...but I was fascinated with their power over people to rule their lives. Unfortunately Lewis' quote is true...and they are more than happy to appease any such interests by proving their existence. I know that the power of God is greater but you know the old adage "play with fire - you'll get burned". I am not a demon hunter anymore (nor do I run and hide and pretend they do not exist). :lol: But I am very aware of their existence and how easily they influence our thoughts and behaviors.
*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Postby gameld » January 31st, 2007, 11:17 pm

gameld
Wardrobian

Postby *~Diamond in the Rough~* » February 1st, 2007, 12:00 am

*~Diamond in the Rough~*
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy