This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

ecumenical exercise

ecumenical exercise

Postby fopdoodle » February 17th, 2007, 5:23 pm

I'm taking a history of Christianity class with an excellent professor. One of the things she makes us do again and again is to get out of our skin and try to look at the primary sources (like the writings of Luther or Erasmus, of the Spanish mystics, of Calvin, of the translators of the King James Bible, of the many Anabaptist groups) and really make out what exactly they were trying to say during the Reformation.

It's amazing how similar some of the writings of the Catholic reformers (especially in Spain) were to those of Luther and Calvin--so much so, that they were sometimes indistinguishable. However, one group stayed in the C.C. and the others led the Reformation. This class has really made me reconsider my gut reactions to other Christian denominations, although not necessarily my beliefs.

Have you ever had a moment when you realized that your understanding of other denominations was prejudiced? Was it through a personal encounter or through an intellectual discussion?
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
fopdoodle
Wardrobian

Postby WolfVanZandt » February 17th, 2007, 10:18 pm

No, because I readjusted my stance on other denominations long before there were people around me that didn't think that the Catholic Church was the arm of Satan on Earth. I came to my conclusions rationally guided by the Holy Spirit.

I recognize that the differences between denominations are simply differences in traditions and that tradition is simply a by-product of being Human. Baptists have tradition, Methodists have tradition, Catholics have tradition.

Pederastic priests do not happen because of an evil inherent in the Catholic denomination - they occur because of the evil in Humanity.

Tammy Fay and Jim Bakker are not a product of Protestantism - they're a product of Human greed.

The murderous attitudes of many past Christians were not spawned by an denomination - they were simply the product of very and people corrupting their denominational beliefs into excuses for their excesses.

As me sainted mother used to say, "You have to consider where it's coming from."
WolfVanZandt
Wardrobian

Postby fopdoodle » February 19th, 2007, 7:41 am

There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
fopdoodle
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » March 8th, 2007, 3:27 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » March 8th, 2007, 8:50 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy