This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Suggestions for writers?

Suggestions for writers?

Postby nomad » March 5th, 2007, 3:12 am

I would like to make some recommendations to a friend of mine with an intellectual bent. However, since my own intellectual bent is more like a slight twist, I need some help. Does anyone know of any good Christian historians? Particularly any writers who have dealt with the Enlightenment, its legacy, and the whole reason/faith issue?
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » March 10th, 2007, 1:05 am

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Robert » March 10th, 2007, 3:52 am

I would suggest some of Francis Schaeffer's writings, such as, Escape from Reason.

Another writer that tackles this subject is Frederich Copleston in his History of Philosophy series. There are several volumes so simply look at the dates and see which epoch in the history of ideas as pertaining to reason and faith you would like addressed.
[I am] Freudian Viennese by night, by day [I am] Marxian Muscovite

--Robert Frost--
Robert
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » March 10th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Pope Benedict XVI gave a speech on the issue that caused an uproar, but was absolutely outstanding:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0,,1873277,00.html

Pope John Paul II wrote an encyclical called Faith and Reason:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/ENCYC/JP2FIDES.HTM

Dr Anthony Rizzi was on a radio progaram last week, you can listen here:
http://www.catholic.com/radio/event.php ... 2007-03-05
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » March 13th, 2007, 10:50 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » March 18th, 2007, 8:29 pm

You asked for a Christian historian, so this might be more than you bargained for, as Dr. Warren Carroll is not only a Christian, but a staunch Catholic, and defiantly takes a Catholic view when relating events. He wrote a large history series, in multiple volumes. But he is very thorough, and I’m sure he covered the enlightenment area in great detail.

As for stuff on faith and reason that is not strictly historical, I'm sure C. S. Lewis wrote some on it, but I don't know exactly where to look, sorry.
May God bless you!

Member of the 2456317 Club

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"
-Jesus Christ, John 6:53

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy