This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Being paid to donate organs

Being paid to donate organs

Postby jo » March 16th, 2007, 4:36 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby westsands410 » March 16th, 2007, 4:47 pm

westsands410
Wardrobian

Location: The beach, at Lat: 56° 22' 00" N Long: 2° 48' 30" W. Alternatively, Sussex.

Postby jo » March 16th, 2007, 4:52 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » March 16th, 2007, 5:21 pm

If you're interested in this, you'll find Virginia Postrel's website essential. It is www.dynamist.com

Check out the blog and the articles. She donated a kidney to someone else and has researched and written extensively on the subject.

In a nutshell, making organ donation more market-based will:
- provide a net increase in the number of organs available for donation
- provide a decrease in waiting times for organs
- reduce the number of people who die while waiting
- provide an aggregate cost savings for the whole "system" as a function of the first three

She's also a very interesting writer on other topics.
Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 16th, 2007, 5:38 pm

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » March 18th, 2007, 8:02 pm

I'm not sure you can make a case against it if you don't include God, so I don't think I can convince you, Jo.(And indeed, I know practically nothing about the subject, so I will only be able to provide a basic argument, and won't be able to defend it very well.)

The basic argument is "What right do you have to sell your body?"(or parts of it) You did nothing to earn it; it was entrusted to you by God, and He will demand an account of it from you someday, as He will all your gifts and talents. You don't have the right to take your own life, because your life is not your own, but God's; so for the same reason, you don't have the right to sell your own body, for it belongs to God. Of course, that leaves the question of the sale of hair, but I suppose we could make a distinction because donated organs are still living, and hair, especially after it is cut off, is defiantly dead.

Then there is the question of price. Some things are priceless, in a very true way. Nothing in the world could buy them, no amount of money or goods could equal them in worth, because of the inherent dignity they posses. They can only be given out as a free gift. To put a price on them is to insult them highly.

The sale of sacred things has always been rightly regarded as sacrilegious. It is an insult to them. For example, the sale of indulgences( :lipssealed: :lipssealed: :lipssealed: ) is an insult to the very nature of an indulgence( :lipssealed: ), a sacred gift of God. To buy and sell it is to insult God's gift. Just so, the human body is a sacred gift of God. The body is, as Lewis said, coursing with the energy that made the universe; and to try and put a merely human price on it is a degradation of it's great dignity and worth.

Those are some of the reasons religious people will cite to condemn the sale of organs. There are other, practical reasons as well. I found , which lists a few of them.
May God bless you!

Member of the 2456317 Club

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"
-Jesus Christ, John 6:53

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » March 22nd, 2007, 11:51 pm

My friend Steve Stanton had a marvellous story on this topic called "The Perfect Match" in a 1992 issue of the Canadian SF magazine ON SPEC. He now has it reprinted in Volume one of his Skysongs anthology, available here:

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby jo » March 23rd, 2007, 5:39 pm

Thanks both :)

Pizza Man do you disagree also with the same of eggs and sperm? (the former is actually illegal in this country .. they can only be given as a gift).

jo
Wardrobian

Postby Pizza Man » March 26th, 2007, 3:33 am

May God bless you!

Member of the 2456317 Club

"Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life within you"
-Jesus Christ, John 6:53

Got Life?
Pizza Man
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » March 28th, 2007, 10:18 pm

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy