This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Interreligious marriage

Interreligious marriage

Postby JRosemary » March 30th, 2007, 3:56 pm

I inadvertantly started up a firestorm a little while ago among some friends. We were talking about marriage in general and then the topic shifted to interreligious marriage. I said casually that I wouldn't marry a non-Jew unless that person converted to Judaism.

I didn't think that statement was a big deal--but one person exploded at me! He thought I was very narrow-minded, prejudiced, etc. Especially, he added, since I come from a mixed family myself.

That's true--and I'm glad I come from a mixed family. There are Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Unitarians, Buddhists and agnostics swinging around our family tree :toothy-grin: In fact, since Judaism comes down to me through my father and not my mother, for me it was a matter of consciously choosing to convert.

But I'd still only marry another Jew. Not that Judaism is better or worse than any other religion--but it happens to be mine. If I married, I'd want to practice it with my spouse. I'd want Shabbat meals and an active life together in synagogue. And I'd want to raise our kids firmly in Judaism.

To be honest, I think it's tough for anyone to marry outside their faith. If your faith matters to you, presumably you want a partner who shares it with you and who understands the road you're on. Not that mixed marriages can't work--I've certainly seen them work in my family--but it makes life more difficult. (And at the very least, I think you'd have to agree about how to raise the children ahead of time.)

Interreligious marriage is always a hot-button issue in Judaism. For example, Conservative synagogues now have the option of blessing homosexual unions--but only if both partners are Jewish! A Conservative rabbi still can't perform an interreligious marriage.

I know it's an issue in Catholicism as well--you can marry a non-Catholic, but they're supposed to promise to raise the children Catholic, etc. I don't know if it's an issue at all in Protestant denominations or among the Eastern Orthodox. At any event, though, I'd be curious to hear peoples' opinion on the subject.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 30th, 2007, 6:52 pm

Well as you can imagine I have an opinion on this, and I basically agree with you. It is much more conducive, not only to marital harmony, but to the practice of one's faith, to be married to someone of the same faith. It's also a lot less confusing for the children.

For those who don't know, my husband and I were both raised as secular Jews, and have been married for over 21 years. Ten years ago I became a Christian. While he's accepted my conversion, and is now very supportive of my going to church, etc., he has no interest in doing the same. It can get pretty lonely in the pew sometimes. We have two children: our daughter is Christian and our son became bar mitzvah two years ago (upon my converting, my husband joined a synagogue and enrolled him in Hebrew school.) We are a happy household, and respect each other's choices, but I would dearly love to be able to discuss with my husband, on something more than a superficial level, what is of paramount importance to me. The fact that I can't share that with him is something I mourn over.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby scandi » March 31st, 2007, 1:36 pm

scandi
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » March 31st, 2007, 7:42 pm

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » March 31st, 2007, 7:58 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby scandi » March 31st, 2007, 10:21 pm

scandi
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » April 1st, 2007, 12:04 am

Karen I think you did not understand what i mean. I am 100% both. I am not only culturally Jewish. I am Jewish and Christian by religion.

Scandi you hit the nail on the head! Yes he is quite clever.

My only point of the story was to point out that some times we can get caught up in the details of what some one is rather than who they are.
Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » April 2nd, 2007, 5:36 am

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy