This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Clergy Swap

Clergy Swap

Postby JRosemary » April 3rd, 2007, 3:58 pm

I was telling a friend of mine how my Conservative synagogue was engaged in a 'clergy swap' with a black Baptist church in town. My friend gave me a look and said, "Clergy swap, huh? You know, I'll be that's no where nears as risque as it sounds."

Being the innocent that I am, it took me a minute to catch up with his meaning!

But this 'clergy swap' has turned out to be a wonderful thing. Our rabbi met the Baptist minister at a Clergy Association meeting and the two of them hit it off. They started talking about being guest clergy at each other's services.

So one weekend our congregations swapped clergy--the minister preached at our synagogue during our Saturday morning service (bringing lots of his congregation with him) and on Sunday our rabbi preached at their church during their Sunday morning service (bringing lots of our congregation with him.)

I think that both congregations were--well, not frightened, but maybe a little intimidated. There's something daunting about services in Hebrew, especially when you're not familiar with them. And there's something equally daunting about the 'Gospel style' of a Baptist church when you've never experienced it.

But it worked out great. I think we learned more about each other--and how much we share, despite our different traditions.

Tonight, our synagogue is hosting a second night seder for both congregations. It seems a popular idea--last I heard there were so many people going that they were worried about where to fit everyone.

At any rate, I just thought I'd share this because it's been so good to see the two congregations joining together. That's not to make light of the differences--it's just to celebrate what we have in common and what we can learn from each other.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 3rd, 2007, 4:29 pm

My husband's Reform synagogue does this every year around the time of Martin Luther King's birthday. It's great fun watching the very animated black minister trying to coax an "Amen!" from the synagogue crowd. :smile: It's a wonderful thing to do between congregations, as it can help to demystify the rituals of each group and shatter some (though not all!) stereotypes people may hold.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » April 3rd, 2007, 4:30 pm

I've heard the idea of "clergy swapping" before, but I've never experienced it at any church that I've attended. I think it sounds like a great way of building community and realtionships between two congregations, and I'm glad that it was a success with yours.
Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby interloper » April 3rd, 2007, 4:58 pm

JRosemary, I like the idea of 'clergy swapping' in the way you describe. I agree with the positive sentiments expressed in your OP, and the equally positive responses so far. When considering other denominations, and especially other 'faiths', we tend to dwell on how we differ, and what we disagree about.

I'd like to see a greater tendency, (i) to highlight what we do agree about, and (ii) when considering our points of departure, to make a genuine effort to understand the other's point of view. We all of us tend to be very good at recognising our own strengths and the weaknesses of others. I think we should be more willing to recognise our own weaknesses and the strengths of others.

Perhaps not exactly spot on the theme of the thread, but these thoughts keep recurring in my mind whenever a topic of this sort arises.
interloper
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 3rd, 2007, 5:06 pm

I should add that the synagogue and church maintain the relationship throughout the year. The church is in the inner city, while the synagogue is in an affluent suburb, and the two partner to effect change in the inner city community (although I know the suburbs could use come changing, too!) It's a good way for the synagogue children to see that not everyone lives as privileged lives as they do, and to volunteer their time to help others.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 5:30 pm

Postby JRosemary » April 3rd, 2007, 5:59 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » April 3rd, 2007, 6:05 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 3rd, 2007, 6:15 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » April 3rd, 2007, 8:50 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 8:53 pm

Postby alecto » April 5th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy