This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Where is it for goodness sake!

Where is it for goodness sake!

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 8th, 2007, 5:13 pm

At Jesus' presentation, Simeon tells Mary that a sword shall pierce her own soul, a prophecy about her grief in seeing her son die on the cross. And when Jesus was 12 and lost and then found at the temple we are told that Mary kept all these things in her heart. We see her at the foot of the cross with Jesus giving her to John and him taking her into his home. What grief she must have born at that moment. And then we also see her with the other apostles at Pentecost after Jesus had risen from the dead and had sent the Holy Spirit to descend on that gathering.

In between the crucifixion and Pentecost, we see Jesus greeting and surprising various women and apostles and followers and their great excitement and fear and confusion and joy. But what about what must have been the most heartbreaking and tears-inducing, joyful and eucatastrophic reunion in all of history between a mother and her son? Could we even bear the emotional storm of what it must have been like for Mary to be reunited with her gloriously risen son whom she had so mourned as though with a sword through her heart seeing him tortured and killed on the cross? Surely this is the Lord of the Rings Field of Cormallen-like joyful scene of all time that anyone would long to read of?

And yet we are not told of it in Scripture. How could it have possibly been left out? Could words have even described it? But could words even describe the Resurrection either? And of course we aren't told about it directly -- only sort of the after-effects and the results. Perhaps it was too glorious for us to gaze upon even in a written description? In any case, we are left to wonder and to praise and embrace it "after the fact".

And I suspect something similar must be the case with the meeting of Mary and her risen son. We can only appreciate how emotional it must have been by simply reading that she was there with the apostles at Pentecost and knowing that it must have taken place sometime before with us getting to be privy to the details.

Many Protestant’s objections to the Catholic practices of honouring Mary stem from what they say is her seeming absence, to a large degree, in Scripture. There are many answers to this objection, but the one that has struck me so powerfully and emotionally last evening in our Easter Vigil Mass was that if this incredible mother-son reunion after the most excruciating circumstances of his death and her grief has been denied us when so many other emotional and moving scenes were included in the narrative, there must be something so intimate, so loving, and so personal that it was not to be recorded.

And I think anyone who knows what true family intimacy is like can relate to this. There are things that simply cannot be effectively shared with the "outside world". They can only be shared by bringing that outside world in to become part of the family. Only then will it make any sense and have the value it was meant to have. Scott Hahn in his book about Mary in the Catholic Church, Hail, Holy Queen writes that a home needs to have a mother to make a home feel like home. And Mary is that Mother to the Church. In one of my favourite lines of his, he says that churches that do not honour Mary as their mother seem more like bachelor pads than homes.

If Scripture doesn't show us "much" of Mary (though what we do see is always so intense and holy -- "full of Grace"), perhaps it is because we need, instead, to bring her into our hearts and homes through the Church by making it our Home. It is there that we will see and ltruly love her as the mother of our Lord.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 9th, 2007, 10:21 pm

My rather prosaic take on the omission of the account of their meeting is that it was in private and no one else witnessed it, and Mary didn't keep a diary. Or else no one bothered to write it down, or the account was lost. There's also the possibility that Mary was so traumatized by the crucifixion that she had by that point lost her sanity, and was not aware of what was going on. Not what you'd like to think, I know, but logically, it is at least as plausible as imagining a rapturous reunion, in the absence of any written account. What I'm really trying to say is, we can't say definitively one way or the other what that meeting must have been like.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 1:54 pm

It certainly would have made a great scene, but of course the gospel authors were not writing a movie. They had specific elements of Jesus life that they included because they were trying to communicate a specific message to a specific audience. None of them were done to be a thorough historical record, so even emotionally moving events like the reunion of a risen Jesus with his mom.

- Dan -

Postby Esther » April 10th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 10th, 2007, 10:07 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » April 11th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 11th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 12th, 2007, 3:04 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Janet » April 14th, 2007, 11:00 pm

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » April 15th, 2007, 6:30 am

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » April 15th, 2007, 8:54 am

It seems to me that this paradox is bigger than Stanley describes. It would appear that once we get past the birth narratives in the Gospels, Mary the mother of Jesus becomes a minor character.

Where else is she described? there is the wedding at Cana story in John, there is the scene where she and Jesus' brothers are waiting outside and Jesus says "whoever does the will of my Father is my mother and brother", and there is the scene of Jesus on the cross telling John "this is your mother".
If she's one of the women who went to the tomb on Easter morning, the Gospel writers don't make it evident. Mark and Luke refer to 'Mary the mother of James' and Matthew refers to 'Mary Magdalene and the other Mary'.
Am I missing any other references?
Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
Steve
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 15th, 2007, 3:17 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 15th, 2007, 3:23 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 15th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy