This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

LOTR vs. Chronicles of Narnia

LOTR vs. Chronicles of Narnia

Postby Jesse Hove » April 18th, 2007, 7:52 am

Lewis and Tolkien were obviously good freinds and I am sure each influenced each other's work. However one thing I read about them that I found interesting is that Tolkien did not like that Aslan is so obviously tied to Christ. This for me is actually one thing I really liked about the Chronicles Of Narnia, it is very easy to see Christian truths coming through. The Lord Of The Rings has beautiful Christian truths as well. However they tend to be alot more hidden and complicated then in Lewises Narnia. Which I know some people enjoy. I do as well depending on mood, but alot of the time I like the ease of reading Narnia and seeing the Truths effortlessly jump out at me. I have an untested theory that these differences may be tied to Lewises being a protestant and Tolkien being Catholic. However this could simply be that Lewis in his books was writing for Children, and perhaps Tolkien was not. Let me know what you guys think.

-Jesse
Jesse Hove
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 18th, 2007, 10:58 am

I think Lewis might have been a little more open-minded than Tolkien. Having Aslan in the story was very effective. The lion as king of beasts should relate effectively to both Catholics and Protestants since both of them see Jesus as their king and ultimate authority. Tolkien had his own ideas about how he thought it wouldn't work with his own personal mythology. But those ideas were his own. I doubt if most Catholics would have a problem with Aslan. Like most Christians, they would probably like the connection of the lion with Christ.

Larry W.
Last edited by Larry W. on April 19th, 2007, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 1:43 pm

Re: LOTR vs. Chronicles of Narnia

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 18th, 2007, 1:59 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Thanks

Postby Jesse Hove » April 18th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Jesse Hove
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » April 18th, 2007, 6:10 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » April 20th, 2007, 6:08 am

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » April 20th, 2007, 2:05 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Jservic2 » April 20th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Jservic2
Wardrobian

Re: LOTR vs. Chronicles of Narnia

Postby moordarjeeling » April 20th, 2007, 6:53 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 21st, 2007, 5:11 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 21st, 2007, 6:12 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 21st, 2007, 7:43 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy