This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Does Harry Potter have underlying Christian Themes?

Does Harry Potter have underlying Christian Themes?

Postby Jesse Hove » April 18th, 2007, 8:02 am

I have heard some chatter about this between a few people. It seemed at first Harry Potter was under attack by many Christians. But I have heard a few Brave souls come out and explain that the Harry Potters series does in fact have some very direct Christian Themes. I havent studied the books in detail to know. I know I liked the books, but I like reading many other awful stories that I know arent good for me, so myself simply liking them does'nt prove anything.

The popular agruement against them as compared to Lewises stuff, is that Witchcraft should never be seen as good, and lewis only ever portrays Whitchcraft to be bad. So he is fine.

Let the debate begin!

-Jesse
Jesse Hove
Wardrobian

Re: Does Harry Potter have underlying Christian Themes?

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Re: Does Harry Potter have underlying Christian Themes?

Postby Leslie » April 18th, 2007, 3:37 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 18th, 2007, 4:22 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Last Book

Postby Jesse Hove » April 18th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Jesse Hove
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » April 18th, 2007, 7:29 pm

I have no problem with reading the Harry Potter books, as I find them an interesting and fun read. I understand where some Christians get their arguements and see some of the validity in them, but I think that it is their choice to read them or not to read them, and for parents to teach their children what the Bible and God says about the use of magic.

As for the use of 'good' magic in Narnia, I would disagree that it is actually what we would consider 'magic'. The 'magic' of the good guys in Narnia is usually tied into the nature they were created with, i.e. Aslan created the Dryads in a way that seems 'magical' to us, but is just 'natural' to them. The fireflower juice Lucy uses could be analagous to a medicine like penicillin which would have been see as something of a miracle uring Lewis' time. The sin of magic, in the Bible, is that people rely on supernatural powers other than God to help them. the 'good magic' in Narnia is just using the gifts Aslan gives the residents of Narnia.

OK, that's a little long. Sorry about going into all that, but I honestly on't see the reality of 'good magic', only using gifts of God.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 18th, 2007, 7:47 pm

John Granger

Postby Jesse Hove » April 23rd, 2007, 5:57 am

I just bought that book on Harry Potter by John Granger.....I am pumped.
Jesse Hove
Wardrobian

Postby VixenMage » April 25th, 2007, 3:41 am

"The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing for certain."
VixenMage
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » April 27th, 2007, 1:58 pm

At the risk of seeming egotistical you might like to take a look at this: . Also, and I read this book after I wrote my review,:

I discovered Harry before he was as famous as he has since become and it never occurred to me that there was anything evil or occult about the books.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy