This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

lobotomy

Postby robsia » April 30th, 2007, 2:02 pm

If God directs our lives then surely the stroke and its subsequent effects were part of his plan. So the new improved Fred would be what God wanted.

Allan, I am sorry, I'm not ignoring your questions, I just don't know the answers. That's why I focussed on the third, it seemed the easiest to answer. The rest are too abstract for me.

But surely we must assume that whatever happens, happens for a reason and nothing happens without God's knowledge.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby warren_piece » April 30th, 2007, 4:05 pm

warren_piece
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 30th, 2007, 4:55 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » April 30th, 2007, 5:00 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » April 30th, 2007, 7:06 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 30th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Postby Karen » April 30th, 2007, 8:09 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 30th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » April 30th, 2007, 9:31 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 1st, 2007, 10:02 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » May 2nd, 2007, 12:04 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby alecto » May 2nd, 2007, 2:35 pm

The reason this is all so terribly hard to figure out is that we really have very little idea about what part of the "personality" we see when we look at someone is actually the person. If you take a bad habit out of someone, we tend to believe that what is left over is still the same person, just changed. Usually, we think likewise about removing a brain tumor (though that also changes the "personality" sometimes. But how much can you take out before doing so terminates the old person entirely. If a person is left over, is that person a kind of "Frankenstein construct" of the leftovers? What might that mean? While we're at it, some of the "multiple personality" cases really look like two minds in one body, not just a single person with compartmentalized memory subsets. How does that work? Can one die and go to Heaven while the other lives on in the body? It's a stange business, and it's what we get into when we start talking about large-scale brain surgery.
Sentio ergo est.
alecto
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » May 2nd, 2007, 4:24 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 2nd, 2007, 9:35 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby AllanS » May 2nd, 2007, 9:49 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy