This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

U2charist

U2charist

Postby Guest » May 1st, 2007, 8:27 pm

Postby Karen » May 1st, 2007, 8:53 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 2nd, 2007, 11:59 am

Since I love U2, my first thought was "hey, cool!" Their music is very singable, so it would lend itself well to congregational singing in the hands of a skilled music director.

I think it would work best as an occasional "special" service, rather than the weekly ritual. You wouldn't want to get hidebound in using only their music.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby provis » May 2nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

provis
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 4th, 2007, 3:42 pm

To Orthodox Christians, that's just plain horrifying.

By way of excessively brief explanation, Orthodox worship is not about adapting to or adopting the world, or what we want, or even what makes us comfortable or feel good. For me the big revelation was that a service was about serving God, not me. I had always thought about church in terms of my spiritual needs before I joined the Orthodox Church. Kind of like the Army having an agenda that has nothing to do with a soldier's personal needs, and is likely to actually inconvenience them.

In most Orthodox churches, there is no such thing as a pew (just a few benches along the walls for old/sick folk). You stand up, stand up for Jesus for up to 2 hours. No instruments at all; just a choir singing. And very little has changed in 2,000 years.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 4th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Postby Leslie » May 4th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 5th, 2007, 2:50 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 5th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 6th, 2007, 1:27 am

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby rusmeister » May 6th, 2007, 4:22 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » May 6th, 2007, 6:11 am

I'd love to go to an Orthodox Church, and I will one day.

As for worship, I can't help feeling that the worship God truly desires from us is to love mercy, act justly and walk humbly through life with the Lord.

I don't go to church to serve God but to be served by God. He washes my feet, kisses my cheek and feeds me from his own hand. By these acts, God worships me. ie. He declares my infinite worth in his eyes.

Blessed be he.

Now may I find the grace to demonstrate his worth in my eyes.
“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2007, 1:02 pm

This is an application paraphrase. Not to be taken as anything close to actual translation. Just my opinion on an application from John chapter 4:

"Sir," the woman said, "I can see that you are a prophet. Our church worships with choruses and upbeat music, but other churches claim that we should worship with hymns in a more liturgical style."

Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will realize style doesn't matter to me. A time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."

Postby rusmeister » May 7th, 2007, 4:25 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 7th, 2007, 8:17 pm

Leslie
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy