This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

On TV: Secret Files of the Inquisition

Postby AllanS » May 30th, 2007, 11:03 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Kolbitar » June 3rd, 2007, 9:51 am

Hey Allan!

You wrote:

"'Love your neighbour' is good so far as it goes, but which neighbour? If, in order for my family to live, I have to attack the man next door, whom do I love first and foremost? My family or the man next door?"

The way I read it, particularly "whom do I love first and foremost," led me to believe it was a matter of either him or my family and me starving (I had an image of a twilight zone episode where the towns people were beating down the door of a prepared family which was hold up in their bomb shelter during an emergency). If, however, the man next door is feasting and my loved ones are starving, and I have no other means to eat and feed my family, and begging and pleading and offering my services for anything moral doesn't work, and I then attack my neighbor and take what I need to feed my family -- leaving my neighbor plenty of food for himself -- it is really not a matter of either loving my neighbor or my family. Justice assmues the neighbor will give you and your family some food if you truly are not at fault for starving, or help you acquire the means to provide you food, so that he is morally obligated to you in this case -- meaning you have the right to demand justice and to act in the name of justice if necessary, which is not "not loving your neighbor", and therefore not either/or as far as "whom do I love?"

That's how I see it anyway,

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » June 3rd, 2007, 11:44 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Postby Kolbitar » June 4th, 2007, 9:42 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » June 4th, 2007, 11:46 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby AllanS » June 4th, 2007, 11:58 pm

AllanS

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Postby AllanS » June 5th, 2007, 11:35 pm

AllanS

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2007, 1:00 pm

Postby Coyote Goodfellow » June 6th, 2007, 2:22 pm

"I don't care if it is wrong," said one of the moles. "I'd do it again."
"Hush, hush" said the other animals.
Coyote Goodfellow
Wardrobian

Postby Caesario » June 7th, 2007, 3:49 am

Caesario
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy