This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Religion and art

Postby Zeuxis » July 17th, 2007, 12:10 am

Zeuxis
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » July 28th, 2007, 12:38 pm

A person who has had a huge amount to say about this is Dorothy Sayers. It's scattered through different bits of writing, though there's one in particular called 'towards a Christian aesthetic' which has a lot in it. She's strong on the idea of art not being didactic, and not giving answers but rather raising issues, and she's strong on the idea of creativity in life as well as art. so she says somewhere that a saint is not someone who is good in the sense of keeping the rules we fail to keep but who finds ways of being good most of us don't even imagine. When she wrote her plays on the life of Christ for radio she made a distinction between the religious purpose of the commissioners and her own purpose as an artist which was to tell a story as well as she could.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 6th, 2007, 8:32 pm

JRosemary - that's an interesting bit about Shakes. I wonder, is it possible to see all sides and still take a side? I tend to think it is, but the next question is whether it is possible to take a side, and then continue to see all sides?
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 6th, 2007, 8:35 pm

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 6th, 2007, 8:40 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 6th, 2007, 8:45 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 7th, 2007, 6:25 pm

That does make sense. I suppose part of good craftsmanship for an artist is knowing your subject well enough to do it justice, without falling into platitudes. The hardest would probably be to portray realistically a character with a position you strongly disagree with.

As for Shakes, I'm not a connaisseur of his work, but he seems to have opted for dealing with passions that are basic to all humanity, rather than with "religious questions". He addressed fear of death ("aye, there's the rub") rather than visions of the hereafter. Prejudices and loves and fears and power struggles seem more his thing. All the best writers are like that, really.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 8:45 pm

Here's an interesting article I found on Christianity and art on Forbes.com:

- Dan -

Postby Tuke » August 22nd, 2007, 12:56 am

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 22nd, 2007, 5:48 pm

nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 22nd, 2007, 6:59 pm

Postby JRosemary » August 23rd, 2007, 12:23 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Religion and art

Postby Tuke » August 27th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Last edited by Tuke on August 29th, 2007, 9:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 27th, 2007, 10:13 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Re: Religion and art

Postby MoogieCha » August 28th, 2007, 9:14 am

MoogieCha
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy