This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Religion and art

Shakespeare

Postby Tuke » August 28th, 2007, 9:44 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Re: Religion and art

Postby Tuke » August 29th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Last edited by Tuke on August 29th, 2007, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

Tuke
Wardrobian

Religion and Art

Postby Tuke » August 29th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Here are some quotes for the record which I have made great use of over the years.

CS Lewis on Shakespeare's greatness and his distinctive contribution to poetry: "The mark of Shakespeare is to have combined two species of excellence which are not, in a remarkable degree, combined by any other artist, namely the imaginative splendour of the highest type of lyric and the realistic presentation of human life and character.... Combining poetry and realism... Shakespeare makes you believe that Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth, etc. really spoke as we hear them speak."

An insert published by the Christian History Institute included with my church's Sunday bulletin: "The translators of the Authorized Version (KJV) placed a hidden tribute to Shakespeare in the Bible. In 1610, when the translation was being completed, Shakespeare was 46. In Psalm 46, the 46th word from the beginning of the psalm is shake and the 46th word from the end (not counting "Selah") is spear! Check it out."

Last, but not least, from a microfiche of the New York Independent March 15, 1865: "President Lincoln was asked the question 'whether he loved Jesus?' Covering his face with his hands, he turned away and wept. After a few moments he turned to his visitor and said: 'When I left home to take this chair of state, I asked my countrymen to pray for me. I was not then a Christian. When my son died, the severest trial of my life, I was not a Christian. But when I went to Gettysburg and looked upon the graves of our dead heroes, who had fallen in the defence of their country, I there and then consecrated myself to Christ. I do love Jesus.'"
Dismiss this if you please, but first take the time to look it up in your local library's microfiche.

Tuke
Wardrobian

Re: Religion and Art

Postby Karen » August 29th, 2007, 11:36 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 30th, 2007, 4:07 am

Tuke
Wardrobian

Re: Religion and art

Postby nomad » August 30th, 2007, 6:13 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » August 30th, 2007, 6:23 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 30th, 2007, 6:44 am

Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 30th, 2007, 12:42 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 30th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » August 30th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby AllanS » August 30th, 2007, 10:16 pm

“And turn their grief into song?" he replied. "That would be a gracious act and a good beginning."

Quid and Harmony: a fund-raising project for the Fistula Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. www.smithysbook.com
AllanS

Postby Karen » August 30th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Karen
Wardrobian

Postby The Bigsleep J » August 31st, 2007, 3:36 am

Insert supposedly witty but random absurd comment here and add water
The Bigsleep J
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » September 1st, 2007, 2:19 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy