This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

New Catholic faux pas

Postby Caesario » June 5th, 2007, 4:49 am

Caesario
Wardrobian

Re: New Catholic faux pas

Postby Janet » June 7th, 2007, 3:51 am

Janet
Wardrobian

Postby ancientdogma » June 7th, 2007, 7:25 am

In my youth I was at times an alter boy at our UMC. Now imagine my dilema when I have to figure out what to do with the left over wafers!
ancientdogma
Wardrobian

Postby john » June 8th, 2007, 5:08 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby bingley » August 16th, 2007, 3:50 am

bingley
bingley
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 16th, 2007, 10:55 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Sarah N. » September 21st, 2007, 3:43 am

Live in the world as if only God and your soul were in it; then your heart will never be made captive by any earthly thing. ~ St. John of the Cross

Member of the 2456317 Club.
Sarah N.
Wardrobian

About the Amen

Postby Friend » November 11th, 2007, 6:49 am

I dont know if you know but Amen comes from a hebrew voice which means something like "I agree", "may it be so" or something like that, in spanish at least they explain it is "asi sea". By saying Amen what we are doing is saying that we really believe that what they show us in the host in communion is really the body of our Lord. The Priest says "the body and blood" and when I say "amen" what the one who answers is sayins is I belive that it is.
Friend
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » November 12th, 2007, 5:31 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » November 12th, 2007, 4:22 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby pb » November 18th, 2007, 8:27 pm

pb
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. U » November 22nd, 2007, 4:10 pm

Really enjoying reading these!

A# minor's story about the kids climbing the security bars in a Mexican church reminds me of many churches I've been in, in Latin America. I learned a lot as a North American about how culture influences how we worship. I lived in Puerto Rico for about 3 years. When my Roman Catholic in-laws were visiting, we would often go to Mass (in Spanish) with them at a local parish; otherwise, we attended both a Presbyterian church in Spanish (PCUSA, but it was really a very charismatic church, basically like an Assembly of God church or a Vineyard), and a Southern Baptist church in English. I've been to many types of Spanish-speaking churches in other places since then, too.

It's intrigued me how, no matter what the denomination, including Roman Catholic, Latin American services run a lot longer and are more ad hoc than most North American churches, the worship tends toward charismatic/dynamic/lots of clapping, again including the Roman Catholics, and, just like A# minor's friends, everyone seems fine with little kids running around.

When I thought about it during my time in PR, I decided it probably was a lot like that when Jesus taught by the Sea of Galilee or in the Temple, kids running around, climbing on things. In fact, after the triumphal entry at the beginning of Passover week, the Pharisees are bent out of shape that little kids are running and yelling in the Temple, "Go, go, Son of David!", and Jesus rebukes the Pharisees, not the kids.

We had lived in Minnesota before I received a job offer in Puerto Rico, and sadly we had some unpleasant experiences when we were checking out evangelical churches in St. Paul/Minneapolis. People were really uptight about small kids in services, and ours were all under 5 at that time. (We always liked our kids to be with us when we were worshipping.) So, once we got used to it, the Latin American alternative was nice, even if consistently a little noisy and chaotic. Our little kids were as welcome as anybody's to wander around, - a very family-friendly atmosphere. It doesn't lend itself to highly academic, abstract sermons, but definitely family-friendly! However no one ever climbed the rejas (window security bars).
Dr. U
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2007, 1:26 pm

Postby postodave » November 30th, 2007, 5:33 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy