This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Catholic 2nd birth

Catholic 2nd birth

Postby Arjy » June 11th, 2007, 2:52 am

Has anyone heard about this before?http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/born_again_catholics.htm
Arjy
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 12th, 2007, 2:59 am

Looks like another Protestant has been born. (said without rancor)

There are 2 faiths where, as far as I know, you can't deny the teachings of the Church and remain a receiving (Communion) member of the Church (as the Church, as an establishment of Christ, tells us HOW to be saved) - the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church. People who go off teaching their own stuff are schismatics :sad: , and not representing Catholics or Orthodox anymore (although they can pretend to, with annoying success).

Leo Tolstoy is a good example of someone who kicked himself out of the Church - he said, "I don't believe that Christ is the Son of God" and the Church said, "Uhh, you need to believe that to be a receiving member of the Church", he said, Well, I don't", and the Church said, "Well, come back when you do". (It wasn't something 'done' to him - he did it to himself.) I can't say what the RCC will do with this guy, but will probably ignore him. (I'll leave that to Catholics to say)

So it's not much of a victory for ecumenism.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Steve » June 12th, 2007, 6:49 am

Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
Steve
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 12th, 2007, 3:58 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 12th, 2007, 6:08 pm

Postby Steve » June 14th, 2007, 6:51 am

Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
Steve
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 14th, 2007, 5:12 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 14th, 2007, 5:26 pm

I'm certainly not an authoritative source, but my opinion was that the author was attempting primarily to show some places where Catholics and Protestants agree. In the process, he also pointed out a few places of disagreement. He could easily have focussed more on the disagreements than the agreements and come up with more disagreements, but that was not really his purpose I don't think.

I likened it as aiming more in correcting false impressions about Catholicism that some Protestants have, in line with Bishop Fulton Sheen's famous line that "There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church"

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Lord Isaac » June 17th, 2007, 4:49 am

[quote]It'd be better if a serious Catholic commented on this particular website.[/quote]

Yes, his site fully coincides with the doctrine of regeneration as taught by the Church.

CCC 1215, 1141, 1262.
Lord Isaac
Wardrobian

Postby Caesario » June 20th, 2007, 3:16 am

Caesario
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy