This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Religion, Politics and Conflicts

Postby Guest » July 16th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Postby Adam » July 16th, 2007, 9:34 pm

::How can I be part of the church if you claim I'm a heretic?

You didn't invent and teach the heresy. You're no heretic. As we've discovered, you don't even take the doctrine to it's logical conclusion.

::I apologize to them. When I had asked if there were any churches that preached your doctrine, you said gave me a 4th century theologian and said that Orthodox churches understand it "subconsciously".

Well, you'll be hard-pressed to find an Orthodox doctrinal statement on the divine essence within humanity. Orthodoxy doesn't work like that. It hasn't co-opted Aristotilian categories and Germanic constructs into it's confessions. Western churches don't just have confessions, they have philosophies, like Descartes or Foucault. Eastern churches rely more heavily on narrative interpretations; this is what I meant by "subconsciously", and also why I explained earlier that discussing "essence" is really just a way of communicating; it doesn't reflect an actual reality, only a representative reality useful for capturing the practical effect of an idea.

Adam
"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » July 17th, 2007, 4:58 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy