This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Pope: Other Christians not true churches

Postby rusmeister » July 30th, 2007, 8:46 am

Just to clarify my own position, I don't think Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism are interchangeable. But I do think in a forum that is primarily Protestant that it is most important to establish that there IS an actual physical presence of the Church of Christ and to encourage people to begin their search for it (I'm sure Stanley and others will agree with me here).

I've always believed that God honors sincere seeking for Him and His Church, whether they find it or not (I don't know what that says about their salvation - the only place I can be sure of finding the correct path to salvation is through the Orthodox Church). If someone honestly doesn't find Orthodoxy, I think that Catholicism would be the best choice. (That's how I see Chesterton's choice to become Catholic. It was honestly the closest thing to Orthodoxy that he found. Perhaps a similar argument could be made for Lewis as well.) In today's world that is becoming less of an excuse and it has become more important to understand what Orthodoxy is, and what the reasons to accept/reject it are. As with Catholicism, the main problem is disinformation about what the Church teaches as a basis for rejecting Orthodoxy or Catholicism out of hand, which is what many Protestants here have done. In addition, as I've pointed out, knowledge of Orthodoxy is nearly nil - at best people know that there are many different ethnic parishes and jurisdictions and take that to be disunity.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Postby mitchellmckain » July 31st, 2007, 1:36 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » July 31st, 2007, 3:58 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 1st, 2007, 4:20 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on August 1st, 2007, 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby Adam » August 1st, 2007, 5:04 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 1st, 2007, 10:47 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 1st, 2007, 1:46 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Adam » August 1st, 2007, 10:11 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » August 2nd, 2007, 12:53 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 2nd, 2007, 3:49 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 2nd, 2007, 4:51 am

mitchellmckain

Postby mitchellmckain » August 2nd, 2007, 4:57 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on August 2nd, 2007, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » August 2nd, 2007, 8:21 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 2nd, 2007, 3:48 pm

Last edited by mitchellmckain on August 2nd, 2007, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy