This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

A Question About Christian Fundamentalism...

A Question About Christian Fundamentalism...

Postby JRosemary » July 12th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Hi all,

My question is pretty simple, though the answer might be complicated. What are the characteristics of a 'fundamentalist' Christian? In other words, what beliefs or practices make someone a fundamentalist?

And I have a related question: is someone who attends a church that people consider 'fundamentalist' automatically fundamentalist himself? (That may seem like an odd question, but lots of people who are not particularly Orthodox nonetheless attend Orthodox synagogues.)

And here's another related question: is an Evangelical Christian and a fundamentalist Christian the same thing?

I'm not looking to argue or debate about Christian fundamentalism, by the way. I'm just trying to understand what the label 'fundamentalist' means.

~Rosemary
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » July 12th, 2007, 2:35 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » July 12th, 2007, 2:43 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » July 12th, 2007, 2:53 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » July 12th, 2007, 3:09 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » July 12th, 2007, 3:33 pm

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » July 13th, 2007, 12:47 am

Some time ago, I started a thread here by asking what the word 'evangelical' meant. After studying the many replies I got and doing some outside research, I came to this conclusion:

"For most purposes I'll accept and use this bare-bones definition of ‘evangelical’: a person or group to whom the gospel of Christ is of great importance in how they think and how they live. Such a person or group is likely to be very active in promoting, in one way or another, Christian beliefs and values--understood in somewhat (or even considerably) different ways by various evangelical persons and groups."

So, by this definition, evangelicals may or may not hold such fundamentalist beliefs as Biblical inerrancy and the historicity of miracles like the virgin birth of Jesus.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » July 13th, 2007, 2:18 am

Hmmm. While some evangelicals do have different approaches to scripture than the inerrantist one, I don't think you'd find any who would disbelieve in the virgin birth. Almost by definition they wouldn't then be evangelicals, at least as the term is currently used to describe that group. There are broader definitions of 'evangelical', of course, but I don't think that's what JRosemary was asking about.
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » July 13th, 2007, 4:14 am

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » July 13th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Postby Leslie » July 14th, 2007, 2:18 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » July 14th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Leslie--

Could you tell us how you think about the Bible? For instance, do you interpret it all very literally or much of it as metaphor? Your answer would help clear up for me some uncertainties I feel about non-Fundamentalist Evangelicalism.
John Anthony
Wardrobian

Postby moordarjeeling » July 14th, 2007, 6:34 pm

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » July 14th, 2007, 7:16 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby John Anthony » July 14th, 2007, 10:42 pm

John Anthony
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy