This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Catholic, Orthodox and John Paul II?

Catholic, Orthodox and John Paul II?

Postby mitchellmckain » July 28th, 2007, 2:02 pm

The attacks on my character have relented and so perhaps it is time for me to stir up trouble again. LOL

I was reading some of the Catholic Catechism at
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/ccc.html
and the orthodox "Longer Catechism" at
http://www.pravoslavieto.com/docs/eng/O ... ilaret.htm
and doing some general internet searches for comparisons roman catholic and orthodox catechisms, when I encountered the following:

http://www.truecatholic.org/heresiesjp2.htm

Wow!

Of course I immediately endeavored to get a better representation of the catechism of the Roman Catholic church which I found at
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM
Well since I was rather impressed and delighted by what I was reading at www.christusrex.org, I thought it only figures that this would be repudiated. LOL

But the real point was that in finding this website condemning John Paul II, the unity of the Catholic church disolved in front of my eyes. I see in this declaration of the "101 heresies of John Paul II" an example of disunity that trumps anything that I have ever seen among the Protestant churches. In fact it seems to me that the authoritarian structure of the Catholic church incorporates a rather enormous instability blown hither and thither by the whim of the current pope. By comparison to the Protestant church which stands on the many legs of its numerous organizations (close to the ground of its membership), the Roman Catholic church wobbles on a single very long leg.

This is hardly the end of my investigations (in fact I was planning some research at the bookstore today), but thought I would probe for some thoughts/comments on this from the Catholics (Roman and Orthodox) here, athough comments from everyone is certainly welcome.
Last edited by mitchellmckain on July 28th, 2007, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 28th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Have you tried looking into the Balaam's Ass site to investigate Lewis studies too? The site you mention has come up before here. Best to ignore it.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » July 28th, 2007, 4:19 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Stanley Anderson » July 28th, 2007, 5:40 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » July 28th, 2007, 9:25 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby moogdroog » July 29th, 2007, 12:57 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » July 29th, 2007, 2:54 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby moogdroog » July 29th, 2007, 5:39 pm

I don’t quite follow. I thought you were talking about (hypothetical) Orthodox members, in that if they wanted to join the Roman Catholic church, they did so out of a desire to share in its ‘smugness’ and magnitude, rather than for any truly good reason. Perhaps I am reading your answer wrongly but we seem to have switched from talking about the Orthodox members wanting unity (in order to be smug) to the Catholics wanting unity (in order to take over the world). No matter :D I am just confused on the issue of the Catholic Church's ‘ulterior motives’: what are they, exactly?

You speak of the Roman Catholics having no true regard for a proposed unity between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Church. Perhaps you have met a Catholic who told you he did not desire unity, or he was pretentious about a proposed union – I don’t know. Or perhaps this idea of superficial unity is the view you have prescribed to all Roman Catholics. I can only speak as one member of the Catholic Church, but I think striving for unity between the Churches is a desirable thing – and if I have ulterior motives, I’m not sure what they are (more Catholics?! It’s difficult enough for me to get a seat at Mass as it is…:wink:)

(In essence, I read your answer a few times and I'm still not sure what these ulterior motives are, exactly. I apologise if I have not grasped the point of what you are saying :blush:)

edited: for a spelling mistake! :)
Last edited by moogdroog on August 13th, 2007, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » July 30th, 2007, 12:56 am

mitchellmckain

Postby moogdroog » July 30th, 2007, 6:35 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » July 31st, 2007, 4:19 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » July 31st, 2007, 1:15 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby moogdroog » July 31st, 2007, 11:50 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 1st, 2007, 3:10 am

mitchellmckain

Postby Adam » August 1st, 2007, 5:22 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."