This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Jesus of Nazareth, by Pope Benedict

Jesus of Nazareth, by Pope Benedict

Postby Kolbitar » August 5th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Has anyone else read it? I am currently at the point where this article picks up:

"Most important, Neusner (a Rabbi) read Jesus' repeated rhetorical formula "You have heard that it was said [in the Torah] ... But I say to you ... " as his claim to be not merely the religio-military Messiah some Jews hoped for at the time but also above the Torah and hence God. Neusner imagined having a dialogue with a Jesus-era Jewish "master" about Jesus' Torah teaching:

"He: 'What did he leave out?'

"I: 'Nothing.'

"He: 'Then what did he add?'

"I: 'Himself.'"

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html

Wow! If you understand what's going on here -- and if you don't then please find a copy and read it -- then you understand what's at stake: the validity of either Judaism or Christianity according to the words of Jesus. The Pope re-presents the problem Neusner articulated and then gives a Christian response, which is, frankly, mind blowing to me. I would add, as a challenge to my Protestant friends, that the very nature of the problem seems to me to squeeze out any possibility that Protestantism, at least non-sacramental versions, can provide and answer to meet it.

Obviously I highly recommend it.

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Re: Jesus of Nazareth, by Pope Benedict

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 5th, 2007, 2:50 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: Jesus of Nazareth, by Pope Benedict

Postby Kolbitar » August 5th, 2007, 5:28 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 6th, 2007, 11:44 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby reveal » August 6th, 2007, 4:01 pm

reveal
Wardrobian

Just started

Postby Friend » November 11th, 2007, 6:57 am

I am only in the introduction of the book but only there it is already very interesting what he describes about the problem of dividing the Historical Jesus from the Chirst of our faith. I don know if anyone is willing to get into a bit of discussion about it but I do think that is a very important thing to understand to be able to understand the problems our faith has nowadays.

For those who know nothing about it this is a posture that denies the posibility of getting to know the real Jesus from history and chooses to stay with the "mere" experience of Christ in a very subjective way were we all can interpret him in their own way. In this posture they consider most of what Jesus really did and say as a-historical. This is a theory started out by protestants and very wide spread through them which has also afected a lot of catholic thought. As I understand that posture is not a real problem for the doctrine of the protestants where interpretation, or free interpretation is the main thing while it does bring a lot of problems withint the catholic faith.

I just think this subject is very interesting and I havent read the book of the pope yet but it really wants to answer to this. He wants to presenta Jesus of Nazareth, the historical Jesus, the real Jesus, the only Jesus who is someone we have not made up.
Friend
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy