This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Eastern Orthodox view of Salvation

The Eastern Orthodox view of Salvation

Postby mitchellmckain » August 8th, 2007, 7:07 pm

In my reading of Carlton's book "The Truth: What Every Roman Catholic Should Know about the Orthodox Church", I finally found much of what I was looking for in the chapter on Salvation. The following is a paraphrase of Carelton's explanation of the Orthodox view of salvation that I agree with whole-heartedly.

God's desire for mankind is for us to share in wonders of His existence, but the actions of Adam and Eve has made this very difficult. We do not bear a guilt for their mistake, but what they did resulted in consequences which have effected all of mankind. Sin is not a matter of a crime against God which we must pay for, but a disease that leads to spiritual death. And the work of God in Christ was not to pay a price but to cure a disease that prevents us from experiencing God's orignial desire for mankind. Christ had to bear all the consequences of Adam and Eve's mistakes as an important part of that cure.

All men will experience an eternal existence, but not all will enjoy it. God has no need of reparations or need to punish the wicked, but pours down His love on all human beings equally. The difference between heaven and hell - that is the difference between those who are blessed and those who are damned is not in how God treats them or any difference in their objective reality but in their subjective apprehension of it. The love of God is a consuming fire to those with wicked hearts. Therefore salvation must consist in a change of our spirit/soul to heal the damage of sin and to train ourselves to avoid further infection. Prayers for the dead are efficatious because the the dead will face trials which will effect their eternal happiness.

By this agreement I suppose that in this respect at least I have an understanding of salvation that is more like the Eastern Orthodox than the vast majority of Protestants. But there are other aspects of the Orthodox view of salvation (according to Carlton's description) which I am not whole-heartedly in agreement with.

I would not identify salvation with deification, but instead as a restoration of what Adam and Eve rejected which made a personal relationship with God possible. It is in man's original purpose and in the relationship with God that we can find something like "deification" as a part of what it means to be the children of God. But even in this, man's path to "deification" is an eternal one, for it is a part of eternal life to be receiving the gifts of God eternally as the neverending manifestation of His love, and consequently being raised as a child into His likeness as our parent.

Nor would I say that God became man so that man might become God, for although I agree that Christ united human and divine nature (demonstrating that the categories of man and God are not mutually exclusive), I do not believe that this represents a change in human nature any more than Adam and Eve's fall. Both fall and incarnation were but a change in circumstance. Furthermore I would not look for any mystical experience of a union with God any more that I have any interest in the mind altering experiences one can find in narcotics. I love God and want to be more like Him, but I expect this to happen in a relationship of teacher/parent and pupil/child, not in some unexplainable magical experience.

I would not dream of making any denial of the reality of the experience by the Orthodox of being transfigured by the deifying energies (or light) of God, any more that I would make a denial of the Pentacostal experiences such as speaking in tongues. However, I would consider any effort to make such experiences the exclusive indicators of a saving relationship with God, to be a very dangerous error. Nevertheless, I do not see any cause to understand Grace as some sort of supernatural entity in order to validate that experience, grace is simply a word refering to the work of God. So salvation by Grace simply means salvation by a work of God. And so the discussion of whether grace is a created thing or the uncreated energies of God makes no sense to me.

I would reject the Gnostic like sentiment which equates matter and this world with something evil or alien to God such that our spirit must be purged of any concern for the things of this world in order to have an effective relationship with God (or to become a dwelling place of God as Carlton has put it). Even sin does not do this. Sin is destructive of our potentiality but God is not a Pharisee requiring purity. God comes down in the midst of our reality of evil and sin to pull us out. God cleanses us of sin because of the harm that it does to us (not to Him).

I very much hope EO members can contribute to this thread from their greater knowledge of Eastern Orthodoxy and the insight of their first hand experience in order that I might understand the teachings of the Eastern Orthodox better than before. I sincerely hope that on this topic at least we will not find any cause for heated argument, but only a means to learn from one another.
mitchellmckain

Postby Arjy » August 14th, 2007, 4:39 am

Would you call yourself a born again christian like evangelicals do or are you catholic?No offence meant,just a question to see where your coming from. :smile:
Arjy
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 14th, 2007, 1:08 pm

mitchellmckain

Re: The Eastern Orthodox view of Salvation

Postby rusmeister » August 16th, 2007, 3:12 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 16th, 2007, 6:51 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » August 17th, 2007, 4:39 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Anodos » August 17th, 2007, 6:26 am

Anodos

Postby rusmeister » August 17th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Thanks for the links!
Have to say I've never heard of the guy - am not sure if his works are canonical and line up with Church teaching or not; until I know that, I'd have to take his writings with a grain of salt.

In any event, digging into those kinds of questions without having established that the Orthodox Church IS the original Church that never fell apart, went anywhere or went apostate is kind of like trying to go directly to third base without having made it to first.

And I think that understanding in the sense that Mitchell and I seem to agree on :shocked: is that an idiot who understands nothing and says "I believe Lord, help Thou my unbelief!" can be saved without needing to understand these kinds of theological ideas.

It's not our job to understand or analyze God. It's our job to humble ourselves and accept His analysis of us. (Not to deny theological understanding of what has been given to us through revelation, but I think it needs to be stronglystressed that it is of infinitely greater importance as to what God is to make of us, rather than what we are to make of God, and most people, going from questionable theological foundations, especially exclusive reliance on self, tend to go in all sorts of wrong directions. We are called to be humble, after all, and recognizing the limits of our understanding is part of that.)
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Postby rusmeister » August 21st, 2007, 2:05 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby olddoc » October 13th, 2007, 4:08 am

olddoc

Postby mitchellmckain » October 14th, 2007, 1:35 pm

mitchellmckain

The link and faith

Postby olddoc » October 14th, 2007, 5:46 pm

olddoc

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy