This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The best online presentation of Eastern Orthodoxy

The best online presentation of Eastern Orthodoxy

Postby Anodos » August 17th, 2007, 6:35 am

Anodos

Postby postodave » August 17th, 2007, 3:52 pm

I want to read this when I am in a slightly more sober mood (I have just imbibed 3 and a 1/2 pints of good english ale - I'm not up to Lewis's five pints at lunch time:) But if you want to see some of my meandering attepts to understand Orthodoxy they can be found at:
http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3711
I am serioudly trying to undertsand all this - honest!

Dave
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 17th, 2007, 4:31 pm

I actually think that a hyper-intellectual approach is not the best introduction to Orthodoxy. It is not merely an intellectual religion; it must also be experienced.

(What?? I have to (gulp!) visit a church?)

Never fear! There are no 'invitations' or pressure to join. In fact, unless you phone the church or priest in advance, it's possible that you might go unnoticed! You'll find that people don't pay attention to you much at all - their attention is focused on what's happening in the Liturgy.

In any event, services are not social affairs; don't be surprised if even close friends only nod their heads to you once instead of greeting while the Liturgy is in progress. For sociality, many churches have some kind of 'coffee hour' after the service in an adjacent building (as those who partook of the Eucharist do not eat or drink on that morning before the service).

Things you might wish you had known before you visited an Orthodox church...
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » August 20th, 2007, 4:16 pm

I have been told this many times, and I'm sure its true. I have been intending to make a visit to the nearest Orthodox Church, which is in Lincoln, for some time.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy