This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The old moral code -- headers in ABOLITION OF MAN

The old moral code -- headers in ABOLITION OF MAN

Postby moordarjeeling » September 4th, 2007, 12:46 am

moordarjeeling
Wardrobian

Ab Man categories

Postby Dr. U » September 10th, 2007, 8:26 pm

I don't know, (and I don't know if anyone would), but I've always assumed that he came up w/ those categories himself. It's not difficult to imagine him collecting moral imperatives from various cultures over a period of time, then reviewing them and sorting them by commonly encountered themes, and giving those themes titles. (At least, I can imagine that's how I would do it, if I were trying to create a similar illustration for an Appendix.) If Lewis wasn't the one who did that, I imagine someone else used a similar process.

However, since he often seemed to be careful to give credit whenever he used ideas of others, and especially in his more academic works such as _The Discarded Image_ or _Studies in Words_, I suspect that the lack of crediting another means we can reasonably assume this Appendix is Lewis' work.

Does anyone out there know any more?
Dr. U
Wardrobian

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy