This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Denomination Dissatisfaction

Denomination Dissatisfaction

Postby Lirenel » September 9th, 2007, 8:23 pm

Recently I've been going through a period of dissatisfaction with denominations, particularly Protestantism in general. It is discouraging that Protestantism is so split up over just the tiniest details. You think believers should be baptized through full immersion instead of sprinkling? Start a new denomination. Predestination versus free will? Start a new denomination. Think priests should be called pastors or reverends or grand poobahs? Start a new denomination.

I've grown up in Protestantism. We were Methodist until I was ten, then went to two different Southern Baptist churches, then a non-denominational-but-really-Southern-Baptist church, and I'm presently attending a Presbyterian church (PCA). However, I've always been very aware that Protestantism isn't everything. My dad grew up Catholic. half of my closest friends are Catholic. I've always been interested in history, so I have a basic knowledge of the Catholic/Orthodox schism.

I guess what I'm writing about, is that I feel lost. For my basic faith I believe in mere Christianity, but for theology I have these problems. I don't feel like the Protestant denominations have authority. I could ask three different people from three different denominations about one verse and get three different answers that are right because Sola Scriptura means you can interpret scripture as you will. Then everyone likes to ignore James, because you can't fit "faith without works is dead" with 'Faith alone'.

So I've been looking into Catholicism and Orthodoxy. And I've accepted as possible many of the teachings that Protestants usually can't handle, like the ever-virginity of Mary, and even the Immaculate Conception to some extent (and I, unlike many of my Protestant acquaintances, actually know what the Immaculate Conception is)

The main problems I have boil down to this: For Catholicism, the supremacy of the Pope. For Orthodoxy, what seems to be a denial of original sin and an acceptance of other ways to God except through Christ. Again, Orthodoxy is probably what I know least about.

I would appreciate any thoughts Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants alike have.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Re: Denomination Dissatisfaction

Postby Kolbitar » September 9th, 2007, 9:01 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » September 10th, 2007, 12:36 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on September 12th, 2007, 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby Adam » September 10th, 2007, 4:08 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 10th, 2007, 4:23 am

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » September 10th, 2007, 9:54 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on September 14th, 2007, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby JRosemary » September 10th, 2007, 12:08 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » September 10th, 2007, 2:47 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 10th, 2007, 2:56 pm

Adam
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » September 10th, 2007, 3:24 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » September 10th, 2007, 4:22 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » September 10th, 2007, 7:00 pm

The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 11th, 2007, 4:29 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » September 11th, 2007, 10:22 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » September 12th, 2007, 1:38 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy