This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Denomination Dissatisfaction

Postby Adam » September 12th, 2007, 2:58 am

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » September 12th, 2007, 10:22 am

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » September 12th, 2007, 11:45 am

mitchellmckain

Postby moogdroog » September 12th, 2007, 12:02 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 12th, 2007, 1:13 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 12th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Well, my tone was merely humorous, but I think I communicated my intent badly - which was really to say that this kind of request is not the kind the invites interfaith debate - I would think that someone who's in Lirenel's place would really just want comments without debate and arguing.

My comment was thoughtless and hurried, and I apologize.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » September 12th, 2007, 10:29 pm

mitchellmckain

Re: Denomination dissatisfaction

Postby Ben2747 » September 14th, 2007, 12:15 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » September 14th, 2007, 7:46 pm

I want to thank everyone for their response to my post. I wish I could answer everything you all have said, but I don't have that much room :toothy-grin:

There are a few things I want to react to/mention, though I'm not sure how to do the little quote things for multiple people.

Adam: I guess my take on original sin is that when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, they were cursed for their disobedience and they, and their descendants, gained moral and physical defects that lead to death and separation from God. I think we inherit these defects; I can certainly see them in my own life as a very young child: we have videotape of me as a 3-4 year old hitting my little sister! But I suppose I can see that point that it could be another mystery of God.

I also have a hard time reconciling the belief that God saves people who have never heard of Jesus with Jesus saying "no one comes to the Father except through me". I know that God uses people and things other than Christian missionaries to save people: There are many former Muslims who talk about how Jesus would come to them in dreams, which is suitable for their culture, and, of course, there is the example of Emeth in the Last Battle. I don't think, however, that nonbelievers who hear the gospel and reject it as the true way are saved unless they accept Jesus as Savior. I can't pass judgement, because I can't be sure of the state of their sole, but I can't accept that someone can be saved through another faith.

JRosemary Going to the different churches and meeting the priests is good advice. Unfortunately the closest Orthodox church is about an hour away. I am thinking about talking to the Orthodox group on campus, though. As for the Catholic church, there is one near campus, but I am actually quite shy and I wouldn't feel comfortable going by myself. (that's one of the reasons I'm at a PCA church; some of my friends go there) I do have a Catholic friend, but she's somewhat lapsed and rarely goes to services. I am trying to get her to go with me, though.

Dan65802 I understand what the sola scriptura doctrine means in general, that Christians can read and interpret scripture for themselves without a priest, but I don't see that in practice. Denominations let disagreement over one bit of scripture split a church and cause so much heartache for the parishoners. I think the appeal of the Catholic or Orthodox churches is that, though there can be differing interpretations, there is someone with the final say if debate gets too heated (pope or patriarch). And yes, Christ is the head of the church, but despite everyone who says they have a revelation from God that such and such is right, God has left the running of the church to the believers on earth and thus I think there needs to be a president of sorts to make a final decision...

Stanley Anderson ...however I have a hard time accepting that the pope has complete authority. I actually don't have much of a problem with papal infallibility. The problem is that I've always felt that the pope is granted too much supremacy. I tend more to what I understand is the Orthodox belief, that the patriarch of Rome is more of a 'first among equals' type than supreme. The leaders of the churches in the East seem to me to have been just as important in the early church, but that they would yield to the leader in Rome for final say in matters. The way I understand it, the pope was once more of a President of the US Senate type (with actual senatorial priviledges as well). Please correct me if this is the wrong understanding.

mitchellmckain I, too, have been picking and choosing my beliefs on certain subjects...and I'm tired of it. That's one of the reasons I'm having this problem. I just want a church that encompasses what I need and believe the most.

Again, I want to thank everyone for their advice and the sources people have sent. And I know this isn't the prayer forum, but could you please keep me in your prayers that I find the best denomination for me and that I find contentment in that church, but mostly that I find contentment ultimately in Christ.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Adam » September 14th, 2007, 9:30 pm

"Love is the only art that poorly imitates nature."
Adam
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 15th, 2007, 4:46 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » September 15th, 2007, 5:19 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » September 15th, 2007, 8:19 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Denomination Dissatisfaction

Postby Ben2747 » September 17th, 2007, 6:34 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » September 17th, 2007, 7:03 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy