This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

question

Postby JRosemary » October 20th, 2007, 4:46 am

Last edited by JRosemary on October 20th, 2007, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 20th, 2007, 10:25 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 20th, 2007, 12:35 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 20th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » October 20th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Last edited by JRosemary on October 20th, 2007, 3:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 20th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 20th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 20th, 2007, 5:57 pm

Hi, My ancestors from my mothers side are huguenots both from the side of my grandmother and my grandfather and they really are in a certain way proud of it, but the family moved to the french -german border on the german side, but kept a close connection to the french culture, but now I´m living in the North of Germany.
If you believe, the people in Nuremberg have a harsh way of speaking, you never were in the North- West.
When I first came her, I really thought everybody is angry with me, nobody likes me and people are hopelessly impolite.
Was a bit difficult for a young man, who fell in love with me.
But in the end I understood, that he seriously wanted to marry me.
Well, he is a fine husband and through the contact with my folks he became a bit softer.
His mother still speaks the genuine dialect of her village and it partly sounds like a kind of english with an extremely hard pronounciation.
It is a dialect based on old saxon, with almost no influence from other dialects.
But it will die out, because the young people don´t speak it any more
and for me and other `immigrants ´ it is impossible to pronounce.
Some folks try to save it, their is a grammar and a kind of dictionary.
Back to Aristotle:
I agree with you, that we should first cope with the things around us and then go to the abstract and more elusive. So the metaphysics have to wait a while.
There is one idea that I discussed with a friend in the last time. in the practical christian life, some young people seem to make the same mistake, the head so up in the sky, that the feet loose the contact to the ground and in the end, their is a long drop.
My friend, who is by the way an old lady of seventy, said all the trouble lies in being to spritual, filling your head with words´that sound good, but it doesn´t go to the heart and to the hand.
She thaugt , that doing your duty in everydays life and discipline comes first. Learning to treat everyone around you properly-even if you don´t like him , is more important for your spiritual growth than talking about how much you love Jeus and what you will do in his service sometime in the future. I think, she is not wrong.
cheers, Lioba
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 20th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 20th, 2007, 7:31 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 21st, 2007, 6:58 pm

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Kolbitar » October 21st, 2007, 7:53 pm

Hi Lioba.

Ben mentioned Adler -- he is priceless. His Ten Philosophical Mistakes is indispensable for someone seeking fundemental truth about knowledge and morality. He also gave a sermon called On the Golden Rule which deals with the "ring of Gyges" dilemma. It's not long: http://radicalacademy.com/adlergoldenrule.htm

Jesse
The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting to meet Plato and Shakespeare tomorrow at breakfast. He is always expecting to see some truth that he has never seen before. --Chesterton

Sober Inebriation: http://soberinebriationblog.blogspot.com/
Kolbitar
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 22nd, 2007, 3:37 am

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 22nd, 2007, 5:34 am

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 22nd, 2007, 5:35 am

Lioba
Wardrobian