This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

question

Postby Lioba » October 17th, 2007, 8:01 am

Hello, I hope, I found the right thread for my question. If not, please help me to find the right place for my question.
I´ve got for my last birthday a book about the 4 classic main -virtues Prudence etc from a rather good catholic writer-Josef Pieper.
For me, this book is very precious.
The apostle Paul reminds us in the letter to the phillippians to think about virtue, but I couldn´t make much of it, because I really never heard a teaching or a sermon about it. Their was teaching about faith, love and hope, but nothing about the more pragmatic things.
Is there any comparable teaching on the protestant side or is it just not so much in the focus? :read:
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 17th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 17th, 2007, 3:48 pm

I'd recommend Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship, and for something more modern, Dallas Willard's The Divine Conspiracy.
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 17th, 2007, 4:51 pm

Karen and Ben, thank you! I think, I´ll start with Thomas, because I can read it in the Internet. We haven´t got Aristotle in our local library, but our librarian can order books from other libraries.
About Bonhoeffer: a friend of mine reads Bonhoeffer, she said, I should start best with reading his letters to his bride, so that I can learn about him and his style.
I haven´t read the two books of C. S. Lewis , but I think I buy them.
Wow, good books enough for the rest of the year! :smile:
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 17th, 2007, 5:09 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 18th, 2007, 4:15 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby chad » October 18th, 2007, 7:25 am

chad
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 18th, 2007, 7:48 am

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 18th, 2007, 9:41 am

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 18th, 2007, 3:40 pm

It seems that some people may be taking my post to mean that I claim some expertise in this question. I do not. I merely wish to point out that seeking for unified Protestant teaching is like seeking unified Islamic teaching. There really isn't a unified Protestant faith. Each denomination follows its own traditions and when someone disagrees they sometimes leave and find another existing church and sometimes break off and start a new church. (No attack on Protestants is intended - but the question seems to beg the answer.)
I'm sure you can find intelligent Protestant commentaries on these virtues out there - they may not be coherent with other Protestant thought and just can't be considered the teaching of (a unified) Protestantism because there is no such animal.
The virtues that should be of particular interest, though, are precisely the 3 Christian virtues that paganism did not have - faith, hope and love (agape). They are what distinguished Christianity in the pagan world.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 19th, 2007, 8:34 am

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 19th, 2007, 1:12 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 19th, 2007, 3:20 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » October 19th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Karen » October 19th, 2007, 5:34 pm

I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. -- Jorge Luis Borges
Karen
Wardrobian

Next

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy