This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

question

Postby Ben2747 » October 25th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 25th, 2007, 10:07 pm

@ Ben: When I´m finished! There is a difference between understanding a text and understanding its meaning for your live.
But I will share my thougts with you as soon as I have more time. The next two weeks are horribly stuffed.
A few thougts right now. I begin-just begin- to understand, why prudence has such a predominant position. It is a virtue in itself, but it also makes you able to live the other virtues properly.
Righteousness-before I <met> Pieper and now Aristotle , I didn´t reflect the ideas of righteousness specially.
For me the idea had so much to do with law and order, self-righteousness, non-forgiving, punishment. So I didn´t see anything that could improve my relation to others. Well, I was totally wrong!
Trying to act righteous against the other person really destroys all self-righteousness. Here a thought of Pieper becomes very important to me . He emphasises the term the other(person). It is hard to express it in english, but the other as a person, that I see as specially different from me, strange, not connected to me through anything .
I´m a person that tends to go by sympathy. Feelings have great influence of my judgimg and treating others- and that is not righteous.
I excused myself with being emotional and a woman. But as virtues are not made only for matter- of-the fact, uemotional males, my excuses are not really good.
Generally, my ideas about virtues changed through reading Aristotle and Pieper. Before I read them, Ihad the idea, that being virtuous is a kind of state-of-mind and virtuous people are a bit prim and overbearing and not from this world.
I was astonished, that the virtues have the focus so much on acting in this world, that you can not become virtuous by running away from this world but only by living in it.
Now, these are a few thoughts, still much on the surface, maybe I´ll be deeper in it in a while.
Cheers, Lioba
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 25th, 2007, 10:07 pm

@ Ben: When I´m finished! There is a difference between understanding a text and understanding its meaning for your live.
But I will share my thougts with you as soon as I have more time. The next two weeks are horribly stuffed.
A few thougts right now. I begin-just begin- to understand, why prudence has such a predominant position. It is a virtue in itself, but it also makes you able to live the other virtues properly.
Righteousness-before I <met> Pieper and now Aristotle , I didn´t reflect the ideas of righteousness specially.
For me the idea had so much to do with law and order, self-righteousness, non-forgiving, punishment. So I didn´t see anything that could improve my relation to others. Well, I was totally wrong!
Trying to act righteous against the other person really destroys all self-righteousness. Here a thought of Pieper becomes very important to me . He emphasises the term the other(person). It is hard to express it in english, but the other as a person, that I see as specially different from me, strange, not connected to me through anything .
I´m a person that tends to go by sympathy. Feelings have great influence of my judgimg and treating others- and that is not righteous.
I excused myself with being emotional and a woman. But as virtues are not made only for matter- of-the fact, uemotional males, my excuses are not really good.
Generally, my ideas about virtues changed through reading Aristotle and Pieper. Before I read them, Ihad the idea, that being virtuous is a kind of state-of-mind and virtuous people are a bit prim and overbearing and not from this world.
I was astonished, that the virtues have the focus so much on acting in this world, that you can not become virtuous by running away from this world but only by living in it.
Now, these are a few thoughts, still much on the surface, maybe I´ll be deeper in it in a while.
Cheers, Lioba
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » October 25th, 2007, 10:19 pm

:??: Why did my last post come twice? Computers will never become intelligent! I wish you a blessed weekend.
Cheers, Lioba
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » November 1st, 2007, 12:27 pm

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » November 1st, 2007, 12:39 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » November 2nd, 2007, 8:03 am

Thank you, Ben!
It is really a bit difficult to shift from one language to the other, when terms must be clearly defined. When I talk to people and I am insecure, I choose one synonym and try, but that´s no good when I read.
Cheers, Lioba
Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Ben2747 » November 2nd, 2007, 1:51 pm

Ben2747
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » December 20th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Lioba
Wardrobian

Postby Lioba » March 10th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Lioba
Wardrobian