This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Eastern Orthodoxy

Postby postodave » January 18th, 2008, 5:00 pm

So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 18th, 2008, 6:43 pm

cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 18th, 2008, 8:23 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » January 19th, 2008, 2:10 pm

That's very interesting. Is that a common perspective in modern orthodoxy? I understand the idea of politics as something temporary, the result of the fall but it seems to me the scripture says something different and I actually thought there was a greater awareness of that in the easter church and clearly I was mistaken. In this sense the modern orthodox Church seems very much sides with Augustine who held this view of politics being a consequence of the fall. Maybe it's a byzantine cultural thing.

The scriptural thing: it's the end of Revelation of course where the kingdoms of this world have become the kingdom of our God and we end not as Adam and Eve began in a garden but in a garden that has become a city. I love the passage where the kings of this world bring their glory into the new Jerusalem.

Now I really did think that because the eastern church following Irenius believed that the end would be not a return to the beginning (as Augustine sometimes seems to think) but a transformation it was accepting that all of creation (and if God did not create political structures I cannot imagine who did) will be redeemed. For Irenius says Adam and Eve were little more than monkeys or children that they fell at the start of a journey (the adventure of human culture) and that journey itself would be fallen and lower but still going on and culminating in heaven. I admired the zest for life I found in an Eastern writer like Lossky and felt it was akin to the Calvinist system I find invigorating for the same reason. Did I really get all that wrong?
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 19th, 2008, 8:41 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 23rd, 2008, 5:01 am

cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » January 23rd, 2008, 8:41 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 24th, 2008, 2:39 am

Postodave, what is at stake here for you? Why are you so desirous of the persistence or substance of political structures?

The OC asks no one to abandon thought. But the angles from which you ask questions suggest some agenda. Are you one of those who think America has theological or eschatological significance? Generally, I'd expect heaven to prefer Canada... and the OC does not accept that doctrine at all. Or are you hoping for a theocracy of your denomination? I would not choose to be ruled by any such thing.
cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 24th, 2008, 3:55 am

I'd put it differently, but basically, if you feel drawn to the Orthodox Church, then what are your objections? BRING THEM TO A PRIEST!!! This is precisely what I did. I did NOT like the idea of confession to God before a priest, let me tell you.
By the time I had finished talking to Father Viktor, I realized that I had been creating my own barrier; that I had been attending a men's group where I regularly 'confessed' in front of a whole group of men intimate personal details on a weekly basis! I broke down and was accepted into the Church by Chrismation the following week.

If you are not drawn to Orthodoxy, then academic debate here is useless. Either way, at this point, it's not really me you should be talking to.

Remember Christ's answer when Pilate asked "What is Truth?".
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » January 24th, 2008, 8:21 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 24th, 2008, 9:58 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » January 25th, 2008, 2:05 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby cyranorox » January 25th, 2008, 3:54 pm

cyranorox
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » January 25th, 2008, 5:34 pm

postodave
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » January 26th, 2008, 3:56 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to Religion, Science, and Philosophy